Page 14 of 492 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: For NFL fans

I can see paying your best player, but not league wide. I don't think a Von Miller, JJ Watt, whatever elite defensive stud in flavor that year (Revis back before Tampa trade comes to mind) shouldn't be the #1 paid player in the league. Only a handful of teams will have that elite QB, if you don't then a Von Miller makes sense as your top paid player, but not -the- top paid player.

Like Broncos paying Miller makes sense because Sanchez is cheap, Siemian is essentially free, and Lynch is cheap for the next 4 years with a decent contract for the 5th if he works out. Paying Miller the big bucks there makes sense. However like the Raiders have a comparable player in Khalil Mack, but that contract (plus interest over year or two) doesn't make as much sense because securing Derek Carr for life is way more important imo. Ideally both get paid, but I think QB wins out in the scenario.

But the Raiders didn't win the Super Bowl, and the Broncos don't have Derek Carr. If the Raiders had won the Super Bowl, and Khalil Mack had had the kind of performance that Von Miller had, he would be in line to make the kind of money that Von Miller is about to make, too. And would you be opposed to paying him if you didn't have Derek Carr on your roster?

I just don't think there was any way the Broncos couldn't have paid Miller after what he did last season and especially in the Super Bowl. Players who do that tend to get paid. I might not agree with it, but that's the way it is.

But I mean beyond that it's important for the Broncos to reward players who do the kind of things Miller did.

1) Because it's a player incentive. Players know that if they play well they can make more money.
    2) Because it helps with free agency. If the Broncos didn't pay Von Miller they would look a lot less appealing to free agent players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    I can see paying your best player, but not league wide. I don't think a Von Miller, JJ Watt, whatever elite defensive stud in flavor that year (Revis back before Tampa trade comes to mind) shouldn't be the #1 paid player in the league. Only a handful of teams will have that elite QB, if you don't then a Von Miller makes sense as your top paid player, but not -the- top paid player.

Like Broncos paying Miller makes sense because Sanchez is cheap, Siemian is essentially free, and Lynch is cheap for the next 4 years with a decent contract for the 5th if he works out. Paying Miller the big bucks there makes sense. However like the Raiders have a comparable player in Khalil Mack, but that contract (plus interest over year or two) doesn't make as much sense because securing Derek Carr for life is way more important imo. Ideally both get paid, but I think QB wins out in the scenario.
    I disagree. You're not paying a player based on position outright. You're paying a player x dollars based on the impact they have on a game. I'd say von miller makes more of an impact than any player in the NFL right now probably not named Antonio Brown. Aaron Rodgers is amazing, but when he lost his WRs last year it sucked for him. Tom brady has played with some shitty WR corps. Hell i mean the panthers weren't even that good with WRs and Newton still put up numbers. QBs are always gonna put up numbers though. QB performances are inflated by volume. If I had a team, and my best player on my roster plays better than 99.99% of the league every week, why does it matter what side of the ball he plays on?

I have no problem paying Von Miller that kind of money if I'm John Elway. There are players that are irreplaceable, because they only come out once every so often. He's an elite player, I don't think anyone can argue that. I don't think Denver wins the Superbowl without Von, this past season or otherwise. Guys like JJ Watt and Von Miller don't show up every year. Are they QBs? No, of course not, but give me the option of Miller, Watt, Kuechley, etc over 90% of the QBs any day. Look at how much guys like Kaepernick and Rivers got paid (and Kaepernick might not even be a starter anymore). Rivers is one of the top 5 highest paid players in terms of guaranteed money. Without question, I'd rather have Miller.

Supposedly the Seahawks have a basketball player that has never played a game of football on the offensive line in his life, running with the first team offensive line.

If that plays out and works, Pete Carroll coach of the year.

Pete Carroll is definitely the guy I'd want to be my coach. Guy has too much energy. The Seahawks probably have more fun than anyone else in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Gyps View Post
    Flawless victory

I did my second fantasy draft:

QB:
    NE T. Brady
    DAL T. Romo

RB:
    TB D. Martin
    BUF L. McCoy
    CHI J. Langford
    DET A. Abdullah

WR: