Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: General New Game Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
    This is great, Hulky. I'm not sure if it was an accident, but I think it would be cool to have units kind of oscillate even when they aren't being used.

Is that the view we would see if we were playing a game? I think it would be easier to visualize a move if you were looking at the game board from a completely overhead point of view (like completely orthogonal to the game board and not angled at all). Also I think it would be easier to visualize moves if the units all fit comfortably into one square. Some of the units look like they are sort of on more than one tile. Or at least, from an angled view it looks like they have heads and limbs that are in tiles other than the ones that they are standing in. Changing to an overhead view might help with that. Changing the color of the game board might also help with that. If it's a turn-based strategy game like TAO was, then I think making the board and units as non-cluttered as possible is important.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to give you constructive feedback. I'm really impressed with how much you've been able to do with this.
    Thanks.

oscillate - yes they have idle animations.
    Is that the view we would see if we were playing a game? - no
    units all fit comfortably into one square. - working on making it work with as big of tiles as possible to fit on the screen so the dragon can be larger than smaller units for example.
    Changing the color of the game board - there is no game board in that video. I'll explain this below.
    making the board and units as non-cluttered as possible is important - awesome feedback I'm going to experiment with gaps between tiles now

There is no game board. Like 0 gameboard. There is a grid (I can make it either Hex or Square tiles). This grid has individual tiles. Each tile can have it's own qualities (like for example people suggested things like tile types like a tile marked hill gives a bonus to range attacks, or sand is -1 movement through, stuff like that or you need to have a flight like ability to move through or whatever). The majority (currently all) tiles are marked as default. Then there is another grid with where the user can spawn units at the beginning of the game (like Settings in TAO). This grid is the same grid and tiles, just a more limit grouping of them for where to spawn. Where's the gameboard though? Below the grid lays a terrain (the video I posted earlier of the open world is simply a terrain with objects [and a first person controller to explore it]. The terrain there can fit under the grid (like a portion of the terrain not the entire huge thing). This would create environments and those environments was what I've been asking the community for for a while (what the world should look like so I don't have to make an entire world and game and then redo it all after the fact because later people see and and think "oh we can have something like that, I want it to be like____" because then I have to redo it all [I'm like 99% sure this is going to happen and why I'm frustrated at this point]).

It looks pretty cool. One huge thing I'm held up on at the moment is rotating and blocking. I haven't looked into that part yet and that's a huge part of TAO. I'm not sure how it is done [I've figured out attack from front = X damage and attack from side = Y damage using degrees, but I'm not sure how it's implemented especially without rotating].

Wizzy

There should be a sewer where you can find a special key to open a vault that leads to a different part of the sewer and then really nothing happens in the sewer but no one else has any ideas

funny enough tunnels (sewers or caves too for that matter) looks incredibly difficult to do. Like to the point I won't even attempt it lol. It's literally easier to make the game sky match the real placement of stars and planets and shit from the real world than it is to make a cave.

Anyways here is a link to a playable demo from the asset I'm building off of for the game part: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._9Mar2016.html

You can't play on Google chrome (bummer) but like firefox, ie or safari or whatever works. These demo's (like menus UI all that) kinda show what can be done. More can be done, but that's the basic foundation. The demo's use tanks, but I can (and will) swap those for the units I have (units, animations and stats) from the previous video and the Units thread that's stickied. Also I can generate and make custom shaped boards. Each tile is also editable so like the deploy units areas can change, where collectibles spawn (or not at all) can change, all that jazz.

bummer it makes me download a utility player and I can't do that on my work laptop. i'll try from home tonight.

different boards would be an interesting twist for gameplay (I mean picking option of what board to use for an individual game)

I love the idea of a tile having ability to boost a power i.e. a hill to boost scout's range etc. but I'd focus on the easy stuff to get things up and running and then attempt to make custom things like that. Looks awesome so far. excited to try that link tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    funny enough tunnels (sewers or caves too for that matter) looks incredibly difficult to do. Like to the point I won't even attempt it lol. It's literally easier to make the game sky match the real placement of stars and planets and shit from the real world than it is to make a cave.

Anyways here is a link to a playable demo from the asset I'm building off of for the game part: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._9Mar2016.html

You can't play on Google chrome (bummer) but like firefox, ie or safari or whatever works. These demo's (like menus UI all that) kinda show what can be done. More can be done, but that's the basic foundation. The demo's use tanks, but I can (and will) swap those for the units I have (units, animations and stats) from the previous video and the Units thread that's stickied. Also I can generate and make custom shaped boards. Each tile is also editable so like the deploy units areas can change, where collectibles spawn (or not at all) can change, all that jazz.
    Gave it whirl and had some fun. I'm intrigued to see what is yet to come!!

Quote Originally Posted by A-99 View Post
    Gave it whirl and had some fun. I'm intrigued to see what is yet to come!!
    Which mode did you like the most?

My internet crashes constantly so everything I'm doing is massively stalled. Matt's computer got lost and then there was a delay getting another so his may be off a little as well. Not sure how far Gabe is.

I think this looks sick. Looks like tao with more variety.(which means more strategy.) Also looks a bit flashier which is cool. Great job and dedication.

I'm back and excited to get back to this project.

Thread Information