The board is a sample layout and I believe we all want the look and feel of the same game with the known board layout. I believe it was a sample of colors and spread out to show what Hulky has put together. Having the no true 4 corners is a huge part of the design that will remain.

As far as units. Without saying they "are the same" the concept is to keep everything as close as possible without treading on true straight-up copyright issues of cloning pixel for pixel hp for hp and action for action of each unit.

I think the Archer/Scout will NEED to be very similar if not exact. I think that Hulky is showing the new units with their respective older unit model as a way of saying "hey, we all know we shouldn't clone to be successful, so lets try and match as close as we can."

I would like to set up a true CAU. Matt and I, and I think I also discussed with Hulky, to have some kind of Base unit start..

Something like every unit has:
Health Base: 20
Attack Damage: 15
Attack Range: 1
Movement Range: 3
Recovery Rounds: 2
Armor: 10
Blocking Chance: 35%

And then we have 8-10 pts of upgrades ability for each suggested new unit.
So to upgrade Health by 5pts requires 1 upgrade pt.
To upgrade attack range, movement, or reduce recovery takes 2pts each for each one.
Add damage to attack goes up by 2-3 pts for every one pt.
Upgrading points in armor, upgrades a certain percentage to block
And then for each special ability takes something like 3-5 pts.

Are these exact numbers tested? No, it my first glance idea of a system to balance, but the method is tested. Several games where you can build characters has something like this set. From your sports games to your RPG's there are a base and you can build onto that and think having sample model in place like this will help with CAU.

I think as anyone really making TAO 2.. (new name required as well) really needs to look at what is going to be allowed and what major and even minor tweaks are going to be required to not get a C&D and provide a workable version of the game we all love.