Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: General New Game Discussion

Regarding "blocking". It think it's an element of the game worth keeping. However if I would modify it, it should only provide dmg reduction like 70-80% max, not No damage whats so ever. Especially for magic users.. unless we have a force like block that happens.. and that poor poor cleric. What would a game be if he was able to "Block".. I will refer to that character as the Priestess.. (sorry Hulky)

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    The learning curve is not meant to be easy, and will be even more difficult for brand new players, but this game is first and foremost a strategy game. I don't think we need to worry about the learning curve when deciding difficulty or balance for this, there are always easier styles and harder styles that we can play around. It would be very difficult to extrapolate how they would play without an extremely basic version of the game. We don't know what units we're using nor and defined movements so lets wing it first and do trial and error checks later.
    Eh. I think hex tiles will dramatically change game play to the point that it won't really be the same game anymore. I actually do not think there will be a bigger learning curve per say. In fact, I think it will be a lower learning curve. In my head, I see the ability of attaching from 6 directions means that defense is going to be all but eliminated. That or you really have to beef up defensive units, which would be equally annoying. Part of the elegance of tao was that units could only be attack from 4 directions. You could plan a defense and also had to be wary on offense. You couldn't just out maneuver your opponent.

Has anyone played Hexagonal chess? If so, how did it change the game?

I had (sort of still have) the same concerns as AFO. However they (Gabe and Matt) have the code made for the Hex board and the deadline for the Alpha release wouldn't change. The best way to know how it will play out will be in testing, and if it sucks it shouldn't be hard to change the board back to squares.

I've had a hard time visualizing some of the attack patterns in Hex and I guess it makes sense once I took a blank hex board and painted tiles to visually see them. LOS is something that gets remapped and likely the greatest strategic change in the game. I'm excited to play again and try it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by |AFO| View Post
    Eh. I think hex tiles will dramatically change game play to the point that it won't really be the same game anymore. I actually do not think there will be a bigger learning curve per say. In fact, I think it will be a lower learning curve. In my head, I see the ability of attaching from 6 directions means that defense is going to be all but eliminated. That or you really have to beef up defensive units, which would be equally annoying. Part of the elegance of tao was that units could only be attack from 4 directions. You could plan a defense and also had to be wary on offense. You couldn't just out maneuver your opponent.

Has anyone played Hexagonal chess? If so, how did it change the game?
    I'm just interested to see how hex tiles will function. TAO is a lot different than chess with movement and positioning, there has always been more room to function and maneuver units. I wouldn't mind beefing up defense units, or adding more, but we just need to make sure we keep the fundamental gameplay the same. That is to say, units and gameplay work in sync and we need to keep the synchronicity. I think we can try it out and always change it back if it isn't working, I agree that it would drastically change strategy, though.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Quote Originally Posted by DivineLeft View Post
    Regarding "blocking". It think it's an element of the game worth keeping. However if I would modify it, it should only provide dmg reduction like 70-80% max, not No damage whats so ever. Especially for magic users.. unless we have a force like block that happens.. and that poor poor cleric. What would a game be if he was able to "Block".. I will refer to that character as the Priestess.. (sorry Hulky)
    So are you saying there shouldn't be a hit/miss function? Should everything hit but just to a lesser degree?

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Yeah basically mel's idea is hit is 100% of damage minus armor. Block is 100% of damage minus armor, and minus another like "blocking armor".

Example like Attack has 100 strength. Defender has 25% armor. A hit would do 75 damage. A block, if it has 50% blocking armor, would do 25% of strength (100% -25% for armor - 50% for blocking) so 25 damage.

At least that's what I think he means.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I'm just interested to see how hex tiles will function. TAO is a lot different than chess with movement and positioning, there has always been more room to function and maneuver units. I wouldn't mind beefing up defense units, or adding more, but we just need to make sure we keep the fundamental gameplay the same. That is to say, units and gameplay work in sync and we need to keep the synchronicity. I think we can try it out and always change it back if it isn't working, I agree that it would drastically change strategy, though.
    That's not the point. Its not a comparison between the two, but a suggestion that if it drastically changed chess, then it will do the same for TAO. I'm just not too sure why yall are trying to make so many changes. I think changing the units first is enough. Trying to change everything at once is just going to result in a different game. If that's what yall want to do that's cool, but different units, different map, hex tiles. Probably isn't going to have a TAO feel to it anymore. I could be wrong though.

Any pictures you guys wanna grab for me to add details to the armor a bit? Like a style of hemet or certain armor looks or whatever. Rolling with the general style here unless you guys have input. Got a sword ready not pictured as well. Still adding more to it (ie. upper arm plates, leg plates, and boots). Cape (yes/no)?

Wizzy

Thread Information