Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: General New Game Discussion

I personally hate games where no mans land is too great.. You sit there waiting.. or your opponent does until one of you makes the mistake of getting to close.. Now on the other hand I love Stratego and other games with terrain barriers. I think its why I liked the furgon and stoney combo.

The more I think about terrain the more I like it. Or maybe even health packs(we can think of a better name), one time use heals on a designated tile that heal the first unit to walk over it for X health.

Special tiles is a pretty cool idea. Like tiles that raise defense or attack power, or the inverse.

Would these be random or would you place them? It'd be interesting if there was a random terrain/tile generator and you would have like 2 minutes to set your pieces. And this could be like a specific style if you aren't into that kinda thing. We'd also have standard terrain/tile layouts, custom layouts that you could edit or none or something.

Quote Originally Posted by |AFO| View Post
    Would these be random or would you place them?
    Neither in my opinion. They would be on the same spots every match. Both players would be aware of their location and could create their setups/strategies accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by |AFO| View Post
    Would these be random or would you place them? It'd be interesting if there was a random terrain/tile generator and you would have like 2 minutes to set your pieces. And this could be like a specific style if you aren't into that kinda thing. We'd also have standard terrain/tile layouts, custom layouts that you could edit or none or something.
    This sounds like a really cool idea if done right.

Here's a few units from my old project that fall in the 'special tiles' vein. What do you guys think?

The last two are artifacts - my version of wards.

How about an actual Hydra instead of a 'Vine Hydra'? 9 attack range is ridiculous for a board game that is on an 8x8 grid. It's just too far. Couple that with 10 dmg and that unit becomes an OP pure sniper with a Scout's HP and some armor to boot.

A character buffer with 8 AOE attack range on an 8x8 board and 10HP makes this unit the first one killed every game in which it's used. Buffing characters tend to be of moderate durability, less than tanks but more than pure attackers. I'd balance the super low HP with the super OP passives.

Movement buffs are complex on a board game and would likely be underutilized, which makes it a good idea for a finished game that requires delicate balancing. The heal every turn is way too prone to abuse in a TBS, though. I wouldn't include a ton of passive abilities in a board game like TAO. We should definitely have some, though, since passive abilities are an inventive and intriguing aspect of almost every newer game.

When you really get into the balancing, Hulky, I'm willing to do extensive work with you to help. I've played many games of all kinds (AAAs, Android/iOS, TBS, etc.) and so I have some insight into the broader gaming community that others on the forum might not have.
    Last edited by rainblade; 05-30-2016 at 03:15 PM.

We should decide on a theme before we decide on unit names, so that way we can all have an idea of what kind of creatures we're looking to make into units.

Do we even know what the game is going to look like or what the details are going to be to already be making units?

Though you do have some good ones, they just don't look balanced. But I still think it's too early.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Thread Information