Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 232

Thread: General New Game Discussion

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    That's essentially what this board is. I don't know what the difference would be.
    It's easier to have an entire section dedicated to it a la the old TAO boards. It makes it easier to critique, review and reference individual unit ideas.

    Edit: I'm not saying this thread shouldn't exist, I think a home-base thread is good and will allow for an easy overlook of all of the units deemed worthy.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    It's easier to have an entire section dedicated to it a la the old TAO boards. It makes it easier to critique, review and reference individual unit ideas.
    Then post a thread? This entire section is dedicated to a new game. That's what I don't get what you guys are talking about. Want me to edit in Create a Unit into the description?

    The units in this thread are blank. People need to fill them out.

  3. #13

    Default

    Oh no that works perfectly, I just didn't know if you wanted people spamming this section with unit ideas. I'm excited to see what people come up with.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    Oh no that works perfectly, I just didn't know if you wanted people spamming this section with unit ideas. I'm excited to see what people come up with.
    Basically this. Happy to use this subforum as an expanded CAU

  5. #15
    Out-Z the Z Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Old Country
    Posts
    6,448

    Default

    I feel like the best way to do this would be to develop a basic setup like when you first signed up for TAO, then build upon that.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I feel like the best way to do this would be to develop a basic setup like when you first signed up for TAO, then build upon that.
    Like start with a default formation? (even with blank units?) then fill out the units after the fact? I threw the mock ups onto the board on the second page. Is that sort of what you are talking about?

    Here is a text board. Like throw letters in or whatever for quick visual like early TAO did.
    Code:
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    Example (?):
    Code:
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [E] [C] [ ] [ ] [ ] you can write notes in as well
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [K] [K] [ ] [ ] c = cleric//healer k = knight//melee e = enchantress// defensive
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] or whatever
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I feel like the best way to do this would be to develop a basic setup like when you first signed up for TAO, then build upon that.
    That's kind of what we are looking for right now. Feed back for a base set of units.

  8. #18
    Out-Z the Z Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Old Country
    Posts
    6,448

    Default

    The one thing, in my opinion, that absolutely needs to be addressed is the advantage given to the sheer luck of setups.

    Luck was always a huge part of TAO, but there was a difference between the luck of a block in game, and the chance that your setup matched up well against another player's. The chance-based blocking component of the game was formulaic, and while in individual games it could sway against you, it was ultimately fair when you took data from tons of games from tons of players.

    After the release of the last few units though, TAO began to heavily rely on how lucky you got in regard to your setup matching well with your opponent's. This, in my opinion, is what killed the gold game. Not that I want a game based entirely in turtle formations, but before the newer units came out, people could match up better against me, but I could still hunker down and outplay them despite the setup disadvantage. Eventually, your chances of winning almost entirely rested upon setup matchup to a very large degree. If there's anything in a new TAO I want, it's this. I don't mind chance with blocking and first turn, but I want both parties to have a fair chance regardless of their setup.

  9. #19
    Out-Z the Z Achilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Old Country
    Posts
    6,448

    Default

    And I admittedly don't know how you would do that. I guess one way would be to maybe put more distance between starting formations? I think you need to tread lightly with how many units you put in a game too, because the high versatility is what brought the outrageous random luck to TAO.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    The one thing, in my opinion, that absolutely needs to be addressed is the advantage given to the sheer luck of setups.

    Luck was always a huge part of TAO, but there was a difference between the luck of a block in game, and the chance that your setup matched up well against another player's. The chance-based blocking component of the game was formulaic, and while in individual games it could sway against you, it was ultimately fair when you took data from tons of games from tons of players.

    After the release of the last few units though, TAO began to heavily rely on how lucky you got in regard to your setup matching well with your opponent's. This, in my opinion, is what killed the gold game. Not that I want a game based entirely in turtle formations, but before the newer units came out, people could match up better against me, but I could still hunker down and outplay them despite the setup disadvantage. Eventually, your chances of winning almost entirely rested upon setup matchup to a very large degree. If there's anything in a new TAO I want, it's this. I don't mind chance with blocking and first turn, but I want both parties to have a fair chance regardless of their setup.
    I'd say that set up luck can be addressed in two ways. The first is to standardize all set up...which I think is a bad idea.
    The second is to address serious balancing issues that make the game to "Rock-paper-scissor-y" In ever good strategy game where there is some degree of incomplete information, there is always a meta that causes luck in terms of builds(Starcreft) or sets(TAO) to factor in. The job of developers is to try to minimize the advantages so that many play styles can be utilized.

    I think comparing grey games to gold games is a good way of looking at it. The faster paced the game is, the more difficult it will be to minimize set advantages, however, faster paced games, more powerful units, etc also help draw in new blood.

    I think reducing the offensive potential in TAO freestyle games, or increasing the Defensive potential, would have been a really solid way to update the game...if it ever would have been updated.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •