Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: General New Game Discussion

Alright so I really want to release something and I run into issues all the time. So if it's not critical and I get stumped on it, I am going to blaze past. So things like figuring out multiplayer - yolo fuck it. I am an amateur so I can't expect EA quality. I don't know what I'm doing yet, so I'll release a hotseat multiplayer. Like you put it on your computer and there are two player controlled teams and you get up and let your friend play the other team, then repeat. Or play yourself using both teams (since everyone is the best TAO player all time, obviously this is the best competition lol). I am stumped on animations, they are there, but I dont understand controllers and triggers right yet so they will be hidden just to make it function without bugs. Fuck it I'm anxious to put something out there and no one wants to see nothing so might as well put out a super jank version to prove it exists.

I'm a coder (used to be). I'm capable of coding a browser based "Tactics Arena" that would solve the multiplayer problem (Ie. You will be able to play against another player, chat online, lobby, etc), however- I'm very limited to just PHP/MySQL/AJAX/Javascript. I have created a "browser based Tactics Arena"-type of thing in the past; however, elimination is probably the only player that I see on this forums that I know of who has actually tried it. Limitations though: The game would be browser-based (meaning, no flashy graphics) and there would be no animations unless someone is good with pixel art-of-sort or gif animations. If you guys would like to see something like this, I would attempt this project though. I have a server of my own as well but it is a web-based PHP/SQL database server. This type of language is also a very poor way to design a real-time based game, but it would function, at least.

Edit: Also, simple things such as the stat system, rankings, etc are all easily implemented using the languages listed above (as well as a TAO Rankings feature) but the actual gameplay and graphics are the only limitations.
    Last edited by Omni; 09-23-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Alright so I am going hard as fuck on this game right now building off what I learn before my computer broke and using what I got to keep.

IF we don't give a damn about the prettiness, balance, how well it works and all that. I think I might be able to release an Alpha (hotseat multiplayer [this means 2 teams but no networking or lobbies and all that stuff that I haven't gotten to, but the game with two players that you can pull up on your computer and play a friend or yourself in your house or whatever) release next week if I can keep typing hot fire and dodge bugs.

Then with that type of release you guys will have a game to play around and see what is broken and what units need tweaked and maybe playing around with it will make my posts make more sense? I dunno.

(This isn't a promise, the promise is end of October. Just the rate I'm killing it today I think I can get it sometime next week.)

If someone is interested I'll take the time to make a YouTube video previewing what I have and showing a bit of it off Saturday or Sunday (but I won't unless someone is interested).

Yeah, I'd be interested to see how far you've gotten. I think this could really take off given the right support.

just some rage and three kinds of yes
    vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Yeah, I'd be interested to see how far you've gotten. I think this could really take off given the right support.
    There is an error in the program I am using (that supposedly shouldn't effect launch, just the viewer I use to build) that might pop up while I record. If it pops up while I am recording (the game goes blank on a rendering error) that isn't a bug to be worried about. I'll click around and make a video tonight after I make sprites for the units and show it off a little bit - it will be the first time I play with all the units ready for the Alpha to test. It's obviously not going to be good, but Brandon (on the forums and FB group) said he'd like to play a version earlier than I was thinking to get an earlier Alpha kinda feel (he brought up Tactics Genesis coming out months before TAO [but I am going to add in I am no Seed so a real finished product may take a longer time]).

to do:
    - test all abilities and see if they are blockable (lol when they are and I can't figure it out so your heal gets blocked lol)
    - add in the armor chart (this is going to be a dick ton of typing, but I've finally added enough functional units that armor is relevant before alpha launch testing for balance)
    - try and research animations more so it can look much less nooby (animations are in it, but controllers are fucked up thats why the Archer dances for example)
    - research and fiddle with other scenes including main menu
    - maybe look into different multiplayer options, or at least make other scenes with the AIs turned on.
    - learn how to export the game, and then how to put it on this site for alpha testing (or beta or whatever the fuck the steps are called)

That looks amazing. I'm sure that you'll end up figuring everything out in the end, you've gotten really far. Great job!

Wizzy

that is a crazy amount of progress from your last video, hulky. very nice

Whoa. I'm excited. Keep up the good work!

Thread Information