Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme for New Game

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    I have had a reoccurring dream for a long time now, where you start off in a big empty room. Inside the room are a bunch of doors with very broad topics above them. Science, Society, History, Entertainment, etc. As I pick rooms I have, the rooms themselves are like surreal representations of the name above the room. Each room has a series of puzzles/obstacles/enemies that I can complete/defeat to enter new rooms, which are like sub genres of the previous rooms(E.g. Science might have Chemistry, Physics, Technology). After you make it through about three or four tiers of rooms, the names of the rooms become more and more detailed, and there is a lot of overlap between the child rooms and the parent rooms(E.g. Social media might be reached from entering the society room, or the Science Room originally). So far I have never managed to finish w/e it is that I have been trying to do in this dream. It seems like there is supposed to be an end point, but after getting through a few doors, it becomes impossibly hard to distinguish between if I am entering another child room(moving further) or entering a parent room from a different topic(moving backward). Basically it feels like the doors are leading to no where. It is also absolutely my favorite dream ever.
    Sounds like an awesome game show to me... Mix Takeshis Castle with Trivial Pursuit?

a game that I am creating in my spare time. find the how-to-play >here<

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Sounds like an awesome game show to me... Mix Takeshis Castle with Trivial Pursuit?
    I was thinking of some kind of weird anime where a group of a couple hundred/thousand people are dropped into the lobby room. In order to get home they have to make it to the end, and a lot of really fucked up stuff happens as they progress. It would take multiple episodes to make it through different rooms(they would be more portals that take you to cities and landscapes and factories, etc). I figured getting to the end would have some vague connection to the meaning of everything, and while at first the rooms might be somewhat straight forward, as you go further and further, things take a darker turn. It would be probably be some kind of cerebral surreal anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    I was thinking of some kind of weird anime where a group of a couple hundred/thousand people are dropped into the lobby room. In order to get home they have to make it to the end, and a lot of really fucked up stuff happens as they progress. It would take multiple episodes to make it through different rooms(they would be more portals that take you to cities and landscapes and factories, etc). I figured getting to the end would have some vague connection to the meaning of everything, and while at first the rooms might be somewhat straight forward, as you go further and further, things take a darker turn. It would be probably be some kind of cerebral surreal anime.
    Gantz comes to my mind...

... Anyways regarding the thread topic: Is this meant to be some kind of collective brain-storming?? Theme-wise I'm all in for Space-Sci-Fi...

a game that I am creating in my spare time. find the how-to-play >here<

My suggestion: Find concept art for games with unit or environment artwork that you think would be the best fit for 2.0. Be sure to explain why you like the art you're linking.

For example, I like the environment art for the upcoming game BattleRite - I think the cel-shaded isometric style lends itself perfectly to the genre we're designing for. I also like the general art direction for their units, but I believe we can do better.

Environment: https://twitter.com/Battlerite/statu...85362398715904

Unit: https://twitter.com/prozdkp/status/718119444891963392

Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Gantz comes to my mind...

... Anyways regarding the thread topic: Is this meant to be some kind of collective brain-storming?? Theme-wise I'm all in for Space-Sci-Fi...
    Haha, your right.

In terms of graphics, I think that the view provided from TAO was pretty great. Rather than focusing on generating 3D units, why not just work with well designed, detailed 2.5D graphics. It would look a lot nicer, and be easier. TBS doesn't need to be 3D.

Edit: I don't know if it would be easier to do, since you would need to render more images. Ignore me talking about graphics, I don't know anything about them.

We have options for Voxels.. 2d, 3d whatever.. Take a search for pixel artists and you'll find 1,000 looking for work who do fantasy art and are itching for a paying gigSample.

I am a huge fan of the Torchlight 2 art and modeling. If we were to have a game with armor and weapons mods (bonuses) this would be an amazing direction to go.. for example Assasin Character stages

Artwork and sprites really shouldn't be an issue.. Its making a working game that has security and a chat system + lobby that works functionally with a mod system in place.

Here is the Voxel art Zelda 30th year Tribute I've mentioned to some of you.

I really like the art for the game Duelyst. It's somewhat of a hybrid between hearthstone(casual MTG) and TAO. It contrasts smooth clean environments with pixel art units, and beautiful anime style art for their splashes, menus and loading screens. I really like the combination, I just think we would want to polish our units a bit more for readability.

Oh.. and https://www.facebook.com/HartaconTactics/ His engine is for the xbox 360.. and emo for the pc (would be best to have a xbox controller and keyboard functionally is iffy.

The style.. the tiles.. Just wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineLeft View Post
    Themed rooms with stuff to kill in each one? or just pure randomness and you have to find the door out to proceed to another pointless room?
    Let me rep you shitlord.

Wrong quote. Wanted the obama one. Whatever.

If we could find artists that can imitate Duelyst's styles, I would be so happy. /butters

Thread Information