Thread: Tactics Reborn - Development Progress Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Hex grid was something that Hulky Mel and I talked about doing too. I like the idea a lot.
    I am somewhat opposed to upgradable units. Craftable units, however was also something that we all talked about.
    Rule of 3 is good for keeping people interested and competitive.
    Match Making is a must.
    2v2s is an interesting idea.

Another idea that we had talked about was overhauling the clan system. Clans are a great way to create a community, and one idea that we were talking about was an open world with a top down view that had various outposts, castles, and fortresses that clans would battle over in a form of "territory take-over". You are not running around in the world as much as you would be attacking adjacent settlements to try and take over territory for your team. As your territory grew, you would need more members to successfully occupy and retain more territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocatt View Post
    The Hex grid was something that Hulky Mel and I talked about doing too. I like the idea a lot.
    I am somewhat opposed to upgradable units. Craftable units, however was also something that we all talked about.
    Rule of 3 is good for keeping people interested and competitive.
    Match Making is a must.
    2v2s is an interesting idea.
    Yeahhhh maybe not upgradeable, but the overall idea was that tier 2 costs more to make than tier 3. So even if each tier is holistically different in terms of stats/abilities, tier 3 will still cost more.

Example:
    Say a Tier 1 tanky unit might be called a Knight and it needs 1 X and 10 Y to craft; A tier 2 tanky unit might be a Templar or some other unit that costs 3 X and 30 Y to craft.

Another idea that we had talked about was overhauling the clan system. Clans are a great way to create a community, and one idea that we were talking about was an open world with a top down view that had various outposts, castles, and fortresses that clans would battle over in a form of "territory take-over". You are not running around in the world as much as you would be attacking adjacent settlements to try and take over territory for your team. As your territory grew, you would need more members to successfully occupy and retain more territory.
    An indepth clan system would be great! Not entirely sure how trying to tie in an open world would work exactly. There's also a lot of complexities to consider in an online open world game >< Maybe each clan could have some kind of "War" room with a world map on it with little cities displayed and what clans currently held them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Yeahhhh maybe not upgradeable, but the overall idea was that tier 2 costs more to make than tier 3. So even if each tier is holistically different in terms of stats/abilities, tier 3 will still cost more.

Example:
    Say a Tier 1 tanky unit might be called a Knight and it needs 1 X and 10 Y to craft; A tier 2 tanky unit might be a Templar or some other unit that costs 3 X and 30 Y to craft.

An indepth clan system would be great! Not entirely sure how trying to tie in an open world would work exactly. There's also a lot of complexities to consider in an online open world game >< Maybe each clan could have some kind of "War" room with a world map on it with little cities displayed and what clans currently held them.
    It wouldn't be an open world you run around in. It would be more like Total War where you have cities that you attack. Basically it would be a GUI for clan wars. Your "War Room" concept is on the right track.

Edit: Total war was not the best description. basically you click a city attack it, then enter a game with a member of that clan(not that simple, but that is the basic concept). You wouldn't be doing the battles like Total war at all. I just realized how bad that example was, mainly because I would just auto resolve the battles, and forgot that autoresolving battles is not the norm. +/

It wouldn't be an open world you run around in. It would be more like Total War where you have cities that you attack. Basically it would be a GUI for clan wars. Your "War Room" concept is on the right track.

Edit: Total war was not the best description. basically you click a city attack it, then enter a game with a member of that clan(not that simple, but that is the basic concept). You wouldn't be doing the battles like Total war at all. I just realized how bad that example was, mainly because I would just auto resolve the battles, and forgot that autoresolving battles is not the norm. +/
    Ahhh okay, I completely misread your post leaving out the NOT before " running around in the world."

I would like to see hex, but that does change a lot of dynamics with 6 possible attack points. Just means some more animations, more pre-planned math and blocking and flanking possibilities too.

I liked what I saw in your explorable demo. Maybe we can add it if Hulky and I keep doing 3d models as the base its something that could be a possibility for expansion. Matt's idea for a map is a nice concept too. We just need to start really mapping out and story boarding all of our true intentions and seeing what is too large for the project and what is realistic. How big of a thing are me making here?

If we did tier upgrades there would have to be bonuses and negatives to them too. Range increase means armor decrease or visa versa. Grabbed a few models to show what we could do for the tier for say a Guard/Warrior and Knight.. again the concern would be each model having 6 viewpoints for each movement, defense, attack, and sounds and all that comes with it. I'm for the idea however, just laying out the pieces required.

Thread Information