Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Out of the Park Baseball

Default Out of the Park Baseball

Not to make this the OOTP thread, but to make this the OOTP thread...

I'm retiring my oldest and best OOTP profile today and buying the new game.

SO, this is my baseball universe after the 2056 season.

Here's a few player profiles of the Hall of Fame players that I retired as members of my Houston Astros:

Mike Trout -- (2011-2030, HOU 2017-2030)
    Inducted HOF: 2036
    3x Champion, 5x MVP, 15x All-Star, 11x Platinum Stick, 2x Gold Glove, 1x Rookie of the Year, 5x Playoff Series MVP,
    Career WAR: 96.2
    Career Earnings: 2017-2030: 369+ Million
    Noted Career Stats: 573 HRs, 307 SBs, .929 OPS
    Career Notes: Fucked up by letting him play for two straight years while not being competitive trying to get him up to 3000 Hits. Knocked his WAR down quite a bit. Won a title in 2019 on a team that included Manny Machado, who is also in the HoF. Won two more in 2029-2030 but wasn't a bit factor on those teams.
    http://i63.tinypic.com/2lwwy81.png

Rodolfo Vega -- (2021-2035, HOU 2024-2035)
    Inducted HOF: 2041
    3x Champion, 11x All-Star, 11x Platinum Stick, 8x Gold Glove at SS, 4x Playoff MVP
    Career WAR: 77.4
    Career Earnings: 286+ Million (in US, not including money in Japan)
    Noted Career Stats: 538 HRs, 508 SBs, Four Seasons of 40 HRs and 40 SBs
    Career Notes: Had an incredible fall-off at Age 27 and was never the same player. Left at age 34 to pursue a career in Japan. In his Prime he may have been the greatest player in the history of baseball. Game breaking speed, incredible power, and one of the best gloves in all of baseball at SS. Literally a game breaking player. Was the core part of the Trout team that won titles in '29 and '30 and also won another title in '33.
    http://i63.tinypic.com/fcppfq.png

Mike Sparks -- (2027-2045, HOU 2033-2045)
    Inducted HOF: 2051
    6x Champion, 2x MVP, 7x All-Star, 5x Platinum Stick, 1x Rookie of the Year, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2033 World Series MVP

Career WAR: 76.8
    Career Earnings: 353+ Million
    Noted Career Stats: .307 BA, 640 HRs
    Career Notes: A Philly for a decent portion of his career before being acquired around age 27-28, Sparks was one of the core pieces that made the Houston Astros go from being one of the greatest Dynasties to probably THE greatest dynasty of all time. Was a part of the first Astros' Three-Peat from 2039-2041.
    http://i65.tinypic.com/o8dvlj.png

Humberto Castellanos -- (2032-2048, HOU 2035-2048)
    Inducted HOF: 2054
    7x Champion, 2x MVP, 12x All-Star, 9x Platinum Stick, 7x Gold Glove at SS, 1x Gold Glove at 2B, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2036 World Series MVP
    Career WAR: 93.6
    Career Earnings: 246+ Million
    Noted Career Stats: 625 HRs
    Career Notes: The core member of the Astros between Rodolfo Vega and Ernesto Rodas. An incredible champion and an incredible defender with power.
    http://i65.tinypic.com/vsjss7.png

Luis Resendez -- (2035-2052)
    First Eligible for HOF: 2058-2059
    9x Champion, 10x All-Star, 3x Platinum Stick, 3x Gold Glove, 1x Rookie of the Year, 4x Playoff Series MVP, 2044 World Series MVP

Career WAR: 50.3
    Career Earnings: 115+ Million
    Noted Career Stats: 2x Batting Title Champion, 2744 Hits at Catcher, All-Time Astros Leader in BA (.311) and 2Bs (700), Career 7.0% K%, Sub-5.0% Thru Much of Prime
    Career Notes: A Rule 5 Pick, Resendez is probably my favorite player I had in OOTP. Only player to never play on any other team. An Iron Man catcher who stayed relatively consistent thru his 30's and was the Astros starting catcher at age 40. Hit .367 his Rookie Year, winning the Batting Title. I expect him to be able to make the HOF, but it's too early to be sure.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/2ia8jtj.png

Ernesto Rodas -- (2037-2056)
    First Eligible for HOF: 2061?
    9x Champion, 7x MVP, 15x All-Star, 13x Platinum Stick, 1x Gold Glove at 1B, 10x Playoff Series MVP, 2039 and 2051 World Series MVP

Career WAR: 131.5
    Career Earnings: 341+ Million
    Noted Career Stats: 926 HRs (Most), 3043 Hits, .985 OPS, 2350 RBIs (Most), 2158 Runs (7th), 6244 Total Bases (2nd). Career 1.066 Playoff OPS with 78 HRs over 912 PAs.
    Career Notes: The greatest player and champion of all time. Rodas probably deserved about 8 or 9 MVPs. Would've been probably a great defensive 3B but a few soreness injuries and the level of his bat made us transition him to First Base pretty early, where he did later get one Gold Glove. It's sad because he actually also had an 80 Grade Infield Arm that we never really utilized as a team. But 926 fucking Homers.
    http://i67.tinypic.com/2dlnnl3.png

HOF Inductees:
    Rivera, Hoffman, Jeter, Clemens, Bonds, Helton, Ortiz, ARod, Mussina, Pujols, Halladay, Beltre, Cabrera, Beltran, Verlander, Scherzer, Suzuki, K-Rod, Cano, Votto, Kershaw, Machado, Berrios, Rizzo, Trout, Betances, Posey, Harper, Kimbrel, Lindor, Bellinger, Seager, Correra, Giles, Devers (this is where fake players start), Rodolfo Vega, Bryant, Tyler Jay, Andre Colon, Jerry Leonard, Kumar Rocker, Danny Blevins, Murdock Regimbald, Andres Santana Jr., Jorge Cerillo, Luis Abarca, Ramon Perez, Tim Giambalvo, Yunior Severino, Robbie Matthews, Ezequiel Coronoa, Juan Campos, Juan Canela, Bert Strain, Steve Levenque, Mike Sparks, Jared Carmichael, Jorge Peralta, Chris Hamrick, Humberto Castellanos, Eric Brower, Ismael Schipper

WS Champions (Starting in Fictitious 2017):
    Orioles, Orioles, Astros, Orioles, Braves, Braves, Rockies, Braves, Twins, Braves, Jays, Cubs, Astros, Astros, Cubs, DBacks, Astros, Dbacks, Royals, Astros, Dodgers, Rangers, Astros, Astros, Astros, Pirates, Cardinals, Astros, Astros, Angels, Indians, Astros, Mariners, Astros, Astros, Astros, Orioles, Padres, Padres, Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer 555 View Post
    Orioles? lol
    It's a fantasy draft from scratch. In terms of them just starting hot, yeah idk they drafted well. Cody Bellinger was their main cornerstone and he hit about 710 HRs by the end of his career.

Ahh I thought it was just starting with the regular teams.

A simulation game that has updated mlb and milb (minors) rosters

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    What is OOTP?
    Spencer said it, but specifically it's Out of the Park Baseball, which is essentially the "Be a GM" Version of any other sports game, Madden/The Show/etc., but far far far more in-depth, with the entire focus of the game being obviously that Management angle so that the in-game play is nothing too special. And you don't really control individual players.

A lot of the interface works a lot like MLB.com. You can look up stats, track live games if you play the game like that (there's a live time mode where you can either have a Simulated Baseball Day play in the background all day or speed it up up to x500). It has a great history recorder and Milestone checker.

In terms of an individual baseball game, you essentially get as much information and influence as an actual manager would have. You can make players do various things like take a pitch, swing away, you can tell people when to steal, and the controls are actually fairly complex. For instance, there's a "Steal Base" control and a "Force Steal" control, one of which is essentially telling a player "Hey, if you get a good jump, you can go." And one being obviously, "You run now."

You don't set your own budget obviously, that's done by the team Owner and is based on your ticket sales/revenues from the previous year and Season ticket sales. You do however set a number of your budget allocations. You set your "Development" Budget, your "Scouting Budget," you also are in charge of setting those Ticket Prices for home games throughout the season as well as setting the Season Ticket prices at the beginning of the next season, the latter of which is super important to your revenue obviously.

You also have near-full control of contracts with a decent amount of optimization including Opt-Outs and Team/Player/Vesting Options. You manage the staffs of your minor league affiliates and send your prospects up and down throughout your system. You can automate some of that control to your Ass. GM if you wish.

But all-in-all, it's basically the closest thing to simulating being a GM I've ever seen. And it does a really good job of it.

Obviously, like any game, it's not perfect. I just started an OOTP with the 2017 Reds (because I haven't gotten my new OOTP game to start working yet) and before the season started made so many trades that the Reds have Inciarte, Altuve, Freeman, Yelich, Stroman, Ray, and Quintana before the season has even started. (I've played so many hours I'm really good at working the trade system now). There's a few logical fallacies in the AI that you figure out if you play as much as I do and you either have to ignore them or dominate them. But overall it's perhaps my favorite video game in the world. They've tried to adapt a football version and I think you'd probably enjoy that, but you'd probably enjoy OOTP too. OOTP 19 is new but still under 40 bucks, so not that expensive overall. OOTP 18 should be fairly inexpensive and it's the only version of the game I've ever played and I love it. So if you don't wanna get the new version it may be worth it to start there.

I'm downloading the game on Origin to try it

edit: fuck, buy it and then it says only available on windows... I hate my windows computer
    Last edited by Hulky; 03-28-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    I'm downloading the game on Origin to try it

edit: fuck, buy it and then it says only available on windows... I hate my windows computer

What did you download it on? I'm also confused are you windows? Because I believe it's available on Linux Windows and Mac.

I bought it on Origin after seeing it was available on Origin and Mac on the site, then I bought it and it says only on Windows.

bought it again this time from their site and not origin, fuck it I missed buying baseball games the last two years so my bad but not end of the world lol
    Last edited by Hulky; 03-28-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information