PDA

View Full Version : For MLB fans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Spencer 555
06-05-2018, 10:54 PM
I'm not content with the losing. I'm content with the direction of the organization atm tho. This doesn't look like a 20 year shit show on the way. We have a lot to look forward to these days. I'd much rather be a jays fan right now then a mariners fan tbh. But if I were in your shoes I gotta say it's playoffs or bust for that team. Get hernandez to the fucking playoffs for God's sake.

Hugh
06-05-2018, 10:58 PM
We’re turning this thing around. New GM and manager and majority owner and it’s not playoffs or bust. We aren’t the only team packing a couple of bad contracts. It’s baseball. We’ve finally got people in charge who know how to put a team together.

Spencer 555
06-05-2018, 11:05 PM
I guess I don't really have my finger on the pulse of mariners land. But from an outside perspective it looks like a tire fire because of all the bad contracts and horrible farm system.

Hugh
06-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Speaking of bad contracts, how’s Troy Tulowitzki doing?

Spencer 555
06-06-2018, 09:58 AM
*proceeds to shaking back in forth in the corner*

"Vlad jr is the best" "Hugh is just jealous his team doesn't have vlad jr" "Vlad jr..."

:(

Veilmenacex
06-07-2018, 04:06 AM
Vlad Jr isn't in the majors yet... dude calm down and chill

Sanosuke
06-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Speaking of bad contracts, how’s Troy Tulowitzki doing?

savage

Serge
06-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Max Scherzer besr player in MLB don't @me.

Juan Soto second best player in MLB don't @me.

Hugh
06-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Scherzer is a fucking Terminator.

Hugh
06-07-2018, 11:21 PM
But since going to Houston last year Verlander is 12-2 with an ERA barely over 1.00. It’s nuts.

The One
06-12-2018, 01:15 AM
NL West is a slugfest right now. 5 teams within six games of each other fuck. Hoping that Bumgarner can get his shit back together.

Sanosuke
06-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Mike Trout is gonna get a third MVP award. Unreal how well he's playing this year.

Hugh
06-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Yeah, Trout was 7 for 10 with 4 HRs and robbed two bombs over the wall in this series against the Mariners and we still swept them.:) I think they said the Angels had never lost when Trout had a multi-HR game before. Makes sense.
The Mariners are 20 games over .500 in June. I still can’t fucking believe it.

Spencer 555
06-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Holy crap. That's nutty lol. Anyone out there who thinks this guy isn't the best thing they've ever seen in baseball because his team's don't play in the playoffs is fooling themselves.

Hugh
06-14-2018, 08:43 PM
The announcer yesterday said he asked Trout what he weighed and he said 238 lbs.
So Trout is 6’2” 240 lbs in game shape, playing every night, leading the league in homeruns and running down everything in center like his hair is one fire.
Trout is the athlete I can truly imagine dominating at any sport he would have chosen. Like if he chose football I can look at him and easily see an all-pro safety or outside linebacker. I can see him as an NBA point guard. I can see him as the UFC light heavyweight champion. I can see him as an Olympic gold medalist in the triathlon.
To be honest he looks less like a baseball player to me than any of those other things, and he’s the best baseball player in the world.

Spencer 555
06-14-2018, 10:05 PM
That's honestly unimaginable. I'm 6'1 and 3/4 and 230 and I can't imagine running as fast as I did when I was 6'1 150 doing track n field. I feel like I'd be a weapon of mass destruction if u moved my body at the speed trout runs at.

Gryph
06-16-2018, 07:24 AM
This generation's Bo Jackson.

Spencer 555
06-16-2018, 10:47 AM
He's so much better at baseball then bo tho.

Hugh
06-17-2018, 01:37 PM
The Marlins lost Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcel Ozuna and Dee Gordon last off season. I mean I knew that but it didn’t really sink in until now.

Sanosuke
06-18-2018, 02:06 PM
He's so much better at baseball then bo tho.

Probably has something to do with being it's the only sport he's focused on...

Spencer 555
06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Why is that probable? Trout isn't just a once in a generation player imo. He's potentially going to go down as the best ever.

That being said, I don't dismiss that Bo was special for what he did and "probably" would have been better in whichever sport he specialized in.

Gryph
06-18-2018, 05:45 PM
I just meant in terms of freak of nature, you dont find many Bo's, Lesnar's, Trout's, or Shaq's

Spencer 555
06-18-2018, 10:36 PM
I wanna see a shaq play baseball tbh

Spencer 555
06-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Braves jays on Facebook live rn.

Sanosuke
06-21-2018, 02:45 AM
Why is that probable? Trout isn't just a once in a generation player imo. He's potentially going to go down as the best ever.

That being said, I don't dismiss that Bo was special for what he did and "probably" would have been better in whichever sport he specialized in.

I was being facetious

Spencer 555
06-21-2018, 11:52 AM
I've definitely seen many people overrate Bo because he played two sports tho.

Hugh
06-22-2018, 04:11 PM
How have you seen many people overrate Bo Jackson? He totally dominated football, college and pro, and he was a pretty fucking good baseball player too. Had 32 HR and 105 RBI and an all star in basically his only complete season. He only had 500 ABs once in his career.
I kind of think it’s impossible to overrate Bo since nobody has ever done what he did.

Gryph
06-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Plus he was so strong he literally ran out of his own body.

I mean, I'm not talking comparisons, or careers here, think of it like this.

people never saw the type of athlete Bo was before n the late 80's before. The dude was at the time, the greatest athlete on the planet.
people never saw the type of athlete Shaq was before when he first arrived, a 300+ pound 7 foot center who could run coast to coast in under 4.4 seconds on a basketball court, and had such a massive amount of strength
Same thing applied to the Brock Lesnar comparison.

My comparing Trout to them is he's on the same career path of all time greats, "we" as a younger generation from the late 70's-late 90's, were right on the end of Hank Aaron / Mickey Mantle. But they already cemented it. We get to enjoy him like Bo Rookie year, Shaq rookie year, Lesnar UFC debuts, etc. Just a fucking freak athlete of a human being who at some point barring massive injury or massive slump, is probably gonna end up on a baseball Mt. Rushmore. Enjoy it. (And hope he goes to the Yankees.)

Spencer 555
06-23-2018, 08:37 AM
I just meant in baseball hugh, I don't know shit about football, but a lot of people put Bo on a pedestal because of the two sport thing. I'm not trying to take anything away from what he did (as I said), but he wasn't that great of a baseball player and if he simply dedicated himself to baseball, I don't think it's probable (possible? Yes) that he would have been an all time great (he is an all time great for the 2 sport thing, but far from an all time great baseball player)

Hugh
06-23-2018, 11:31 AM
There are lots of “ifs” when it comes to Bo Jackson, obviously because injuries completely ended his sports career at 28.
What we know for sure though is he had ridiculous natural talent for baseball. What we also know is that he was one of the best running backs in the NFL during his brief career. Imagine how much of his time, effort and focus, not to mention the grueling physical demand, that playing in the NFL took.
Imagine if he had none of that to deal with and just played baseball. The fact that he was the a physically gifted freak who could hit major league pitching alone makes him one in a million. Imagine if he focused 100% of his time and effort towards becoming a better hitter. A better outfielder. A better base stealer. Imagine if he had a 15 year career with no major injuries. You’re talking about Ricky Henderson with 40 HR a year potential. He could have been the first guy to go 50/50. It’s not even a stretch. He could have been a HOFer.
Again, tons of “ifs” but we know he had the talent.

Spencer 555
06-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Hugh, you're basically proving my point.

It's fun to dream on the potential. Im seriously not trying to ruin the fun of it, I just don't completely buy that if he shifted his focus, he'd LIKELY be an all time great. Is it possible? For sure, but he wasn't an all time great (strictly speaking with baseball) and we really don't know how much all of the stuff you mentioned factored into his ability to hit a baseball. Mickey Mantle without the debilitating knee injuries, Doc Gooden without the drugs, Bonds without the PEDs, Shaq without the cheeseburgers. It's so rare that we have guys like Lebron James, Gretzky, Trout, MJ who just embody greatness with no ifs ands or buts. Maybe I'm just a MASSIVE trout fanboy (I really am lol), but I feel like we take away from his greatness by comparing him to anyone who isn't already on baseballs Mount Rushmore.

Either way, I'm not trying to debate it really, just sharing my opinion. The Bo Jackson story is one of the best and most compelling stories in all of sports and I don't want to take away from that either.

Hugh
06-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Oh, ok.
Mike Trout is the best baseball player alive and maybe the greatest of all time. No argument.

Spencer 555
06-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Yeeesssss!

I talk about him so much at home that my gf said she's gonna make me a trout shrine in my man cave. Not sure if she's joking, but it will be interesting if she follows through. I want it D:

Hugh
06-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Does your gf like baseball?

Spencer 555
06-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Yep

Serge
06-25-2018, 02:03 AM
It's just such a tragedy that Trout's tenure as GOAT is going to be so short. He was basically just put on this earth to mentally prepare the baseball world for the rise of Juan Soto.

Speaking of which: the Phillies were winning 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th at Nats Park tonight. Nats get a leadoff walk. Turner makes an out. Harper doubles leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Rendon breaks his bat for the second out. With runners at 2nd and 3rd and two outs the Phillies manager chose to intentionally walk the 19 year old Juan Soto in order to pitch to 3 time all star Daniel Murphy with the bases loaded. Granted, Soto is red hot and Murphy is hitting sub 200 since coming back from injury with no XBHs. But Murphy has been the most dangerous and clutch hitter in the NL over the last three years and has a career BA of .443 with the bases loaded. Walking Soto has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a manager do. If you had walked Soto to get to litterally anyone else in our lineup I would have called it smart. But not Murphy.

Spencer 555
06-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Lol! That's dumb

Sanosuke
06-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Braves are forreal if we can get a bullpen. Leading 3 positions in all star votes right now.

Gryph
06-26-2018, 02:15 PM
It's just such a tragedy that Trout's tenure as GOAT is going to be so short. He was basically just put on this earth to mentally prepare the baseball world for the rise of Juan Soto.

Speaking of which: the Phillies were winning 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th at Nats Park tonight. Nats get a leadoff walk. Turner makes an out. Harper doubles leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Rendon breaks his bat for the second out. With runners at 2nd and 3rd and two outs the Phillies manager chose to intentionally walk the 19 year old Juan Soto in order to pitch to 3 time all star Daniel Murphy with the bases loaded. Granted, Soto is red hot and Murphy is hitting sub 200 since coming back from injury with no XBHs. But Murphy has been the most dangerous and clutch hitter in the NL over the last three years and has a career BA of .443 with the bases loaded. Walking Soto has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a manager do. If you had walked Soto to get to litterally anyone else in our lineup I would have called it smart. But not Murphy.

I would of done the same thing, had nothing to do with wanting to face either Soto or Murphy, what he did want was set up a force at any base if an infield squib, which was why they aligned like that defensively and chose to play straight up and corners in for that situation, or if the catcher was forced to field a grounder near the plate. Would you rather try to throw out the 19 year old phenom running full speed to 1st, or the 37 year old with surgically repaired knees?

Spencer 555
06-27-2018, 05:43 AM
I'd rather take my chances with the 19 year old frankly. Because he's 19.. dude is at least a couple hundred abs before I'm more scared to pitch to him then an all star. Small sample size be damned.

Gryph
06-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Normally I'd agree, but that 19 year old is carrying an almost 400 obp with a 3:1 KK/BB ratio, and Murphy as the time wasn't even batting .200 lol

Spencer 555
06-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Ya Ill at least give you that gryph, it is an unusual circumstance.

Madamos
06-29-2018, 05:06 PM
I am going to Toronto on the 7th of July to see them play vs the Yankees. The guy who I am going with, his buddy is a translator for the Jay's and might be able to get us on the field for BP's and then visited the locker room. I'm super excited, I hope that works ! I'll post pictures if ever !!

Hugh
06-30-2018, 04:00 AM
Spencer will literally spray his shorts if you get into the Blue Jays locker room.

Gryph
06-30-2018, 07:38 AM
lmfao

Spencer 555
06-30-2018, 11:42 AM
I have a wedding to go to that day.

*eye twitch*

Spencer 555
06-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Bautista is mad.

Hulky
06-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Was not expecting this from Verlander v. Rays

holy shit lol

Gryph
06-30-2018, 07:06 PM
They Rays are weird like that, as are the Padres. God tier matchup ready to be roflstomped and all of a sudden it's like boomstick city out of nowhere.

Spencer 555
06-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Honestly think the rays are the best run organization in baseball if you factor in the amount of money spent on the team.

Hugh
07-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Mariners win by 1 run every fucking game I swear. It’s unbelievable.

Hulky
07-01-2018, 09:16 PM
I turned 30 today and decided to go watch some baseball.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36466315_10155242087386650_4651839199526256640_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=caefc1780bd45117194a5f8ceaa2413f&oe=5B9EF32F
met Ricky Henderson (signed my mug I'm holding)

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36503168_10155268683652257_8323499796190986240_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f3a7bbd55f9aba6e4bbd2784c4d4bd80&oe=5BE9F09F
and David Justice (signed my baseball and mug [that Reggie signed], and some current A's pitcher also signed the ball)

and then during the game when we were down somethign like 2/3 runs I was like I hope Edwin (who was on deck or next after that) hits a home run so I can see him do the parrot in person (we were row 1 near 3B). Then he did and it was fucking awesome. We left in the 8th though because I had been sick the last few days and wanted to avoid the crowd out and be able to get some food (I hadnt eaten in like 3 days, and stadium snacks were not going to be my first food back to normal lol).

Hugh
07-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Ricky Henderson too. That’s awesome. Looks like a great day, man. Happy Birthday.

Sorry, Hulky, but the top picture is Ricky Henderson and the bottom is David Justice.
Lol. That shit is funny, dude. Hope you didn’t call Ricky Reggie Jackson.

Hulky
07-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Ricky Henderson too. That’s awesome. Looks like a great day, man. Happy Birthday.

Sorry, Hulky, but the top picture is Ricky Henderson and the bottom is David Justice.
Lol. That shit is funny, dude. Hope you didn’t call Ricky Reggie Jackson.

Lol I just had this conversation in the car with my fiance. I know it was Ricky Henderson and was just talking about I'm so happy I didn't call him Reggie Jackson because "Reggie" is more in my mind as the Raiders GM is named "Reggie" and I know both are all time As greats. The Justice guy I had no idea who he was. I asked him if his ring was a Yankees World Series ring and he smiled and said no it was his Braves and talked about how he likes his Braves ring more than his Yankees ring (thank God he said he had one lol) because they drafted him and the Yankees have multiple championships. My fiance is a Yankees fan and both were Yankees at one time so it was cool she met two Yankees and I met two As. (also I learned baseball on TAO like two/three years ago so apologize for the David/Michael thing lol).

Hugh
07-16-2018, 10:34 PM
That HR Derby was awesome. It was Harper’s night in Washington from the beginning but I felt bad for his dad because he was really struggling to throw strikes at the end. That would have been the only thing that kept Harper from winning. Dude was dialed in and crushing it. His dad pulled it together so it all worked out. Made for good drama. I love the HR Derby.
Bryce Harper’s dad is a fucking beast. Dude looks like blacksmith from Game of Thrones. His forearms are like giant turkey drumsticks.

Hugh
07-18-2018, 02:20 AM
Great All-Star game, too. Lots of excitement, extra innings. All you could ask for.

Spencer 555
07-18-2018, 10:42 AM
I thought it was over at 5-2 in the 8th.

Hugh
07-21-2018, 12:38 AM
Matt Carpenter hit 3 HRs and 2 doubles tonight. Holy shit.

Hugh
07-27-2018, 12:03 AM
How the fuck are the Nats in 3rd place in the East? They should be running away with it.

Hulky
07-27-2018, 01:01 AM
As had a huge 11 point comeback

Hugh
07-27-2018, 02:55 PM
I know. We can’t shake you guys. A month ago I actually thought the playoff teams were already set, then the As started winning.
I’m always amazed at how Oakland so often has a competitive team with no money.

Spencer 555
07-27-2018, 03:25 PM
as and rays are gems

Hulky
07-28-2018, 10:40 AM
I just love how the A's you can get any seat you want for basically $40. Last year (and probably this one too) they had a go to all the games you want for $20 a month just take an open seat.

Hugh
07-28-2018, 11:24 AM
That’s a great deal.

Achilles
07-28-2018, 05:47 PM
At Fenway you have to saw off a finger and then also give them a liter of blood every inning and then shuffle into a completely packed ball park where your injured hand can bleed all over you eighteen dollar beer. Bringing a family there would cost you hundreds of dollars for one game.

It's sort of a catch 22. On one hand, John Henry buying the franchise is what got us the three World Series titles in the last fifteen years (though everyone here knows 2013 was a fluke and absolutely just lightning in a bottle), but on the other hand, he now seems totally content having won and is just clearly trying to keep the team sort of okay because he's making so much money.

2004 was pretty awesome though. That's my favorite sports memory of my life. It was surreal seeing them finally win.

Spencer 555
07-28-2018, 05:50 PM
That's a very odd perspective considering the red Sox are the highest spending franchise in baseball right now and in 1st place.

Ticket prices are expensive because of the team success and marketability.

Achilles
07-28-2018, 06:06 PM
It's not really odd, I just have more access to local sports media as anyone would in any city. So I can be more exposed to it if you weren't from here.

So as someone from Boston who's around this stuff, basically, John Henry bought the Red Sox in the early 2000s-ish (might have been like 1999 or so). He hired Theo Epstein under this other guy, Larry Lucchino. The Red Sox when I was a kid in the nineties were historically bad. My dad and all my uncles thought they'd never live to see us win a World Series because we hadn't won one since very shortly after the first world war.

The guy that bought the team, John Henry, while ridiculously wealthy (like stupid wealthy, he owns Manchester United too in the Premier League), is borderline senile and has no concept of how to handle a baseball team. Theo started building it and this is when we still had Pedro Martinez, and when they added David Ortiz, traded Nomar, etc. That was all Theo. He ended up in only a few years taking the Red Sox from a historically bad franchise to becoming the first team to come back from being down 3-0 to come back and win and to go on and sweep the World Series. We were then world beaters for years.

So that other dude, Larry Lucchino, was a fucking idiot. But he was the owner's friend and they started letting him make all of the decisions. Which is dumb, because Theo Epstein stopped the two longest droughts in baseball - he build the Sox up and took only a few years to get a World Series, then he got pissed about how they gave Lucchino all the power so he left for the Cubs, and took only a few years to end the other longest drought in baseball history. He's undoubtedly going to go down as one of, if not the best general manager of all time. Ending two almost century long World series droughts is no small thing with two extremely historic franchises.

So now we got our World Series, and it's been a fucking mess here with how they manage the team. It's constant bitching by the players because now we don't have a good GM and the extremely old owner just throws fistfuls of cash at players without actually having a strategy. David Price is making like 230 million with his contract and he's constantly flipping out on reporters. You're making more than like anyone in sports.

So it's been a huge chaotic mess here for years with a senile old rich man who totally lost control of his club house.

Gryph
07-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Dombrowski is notorious for showing up and just absolutely destroying a farm system for established players, he did it in Miami and the Tigers as well. I mean, don't get me wrong, he can put together a stacked team (Scherzer, VErlander, Miggy, VMart, Fielder etc with the Tigers), before that he was also responsible for the massive spending and farm system purge with the Marlins during the Josh Johnson era / beginning of the whole Buehrle, Reyes, era there as well. Then he'll ride off into the sunset with an owners finger in his ass with zero farm system and a 37+ year old team. The Sox will be competitive for a long time, but at some point, once they start breaking down, there's not a lot of fallback options in that system after the Sale / Kimbrel / Nunez / Moreland trade (the original one), Pomeranz, and a few others sprinkled in. He's probably banking on Intl' pool money, but iirc I think the Red Sox and Dodgers get in trouble for that shit a year or two ago, and had to forfeit a lot of money, which is why they couldn't go after Ohtani.

Hulky
07-29-2018, 01:59 AM
It's not really odd, I just have more access to local sports media as anyone would in any city. So I can be more exposed to it if you weren't from here.

So as someone from Boston who's around this stuff, basically, John Henry bought the Red Sox in the early 2000s-ish (might have been like 1999 or so). He hired Theo Epstein under this other guy, Larry Lucchino. The Red Sox when I was a kid in the nineties were historically bad. My dad and all my uncles thought they'd never live to see us win a World Series because we hadn't won one since very shortly after the first world war.

The guy that bought the team, John Henry, while ridiculously wealthy (like stupid wealthy, he owns Manchester United too in the Premier League), is borderline senile and has no concept of how to handle a baseball team. Theo started building it and this is when we still had Pedro Martinez, and when they added David Ortiz, traded Nomar, etc. That was all Theo. He ended up in only a few years taking the Red Sox from a historically bad franchise to becoming the first team to come back from being down 3-0 to come back and win and to go on and sweep the World Series. We were then world beaters for years.

So that other dude, Larry Lucchino, was a fucking idiot. But he was the owner's friend and they started letting him make all of the decisions. Which is dumb, because Theo Epstein stopped the two longest droughts in baseball - he build the Sox up and took only a few years to get a World Series, then he got pissed about how they gave Lucchino all the power so he left for the Cubs, and took only a few years to end the other longest drought in baseball history. He's undoubtedly going to go down as one of, if not the best general manager of all time. Ending two almost century long World series droughts is no small thing with two extremely historic franchises.

So now we got our World Series, and it's been a fucking mess here with how they manage the team. It's constant bitching by the players because now we don't have a good GM and the extremely old owner just throws fistfuls of cash at players without actually having a strategy. David Price is making like 230 million with his contract and he's constantly flipping out on reporters. You're making more than like anyone in sports.

So it's been a huge chaotic mess here for years with a senile old rich man who totally lost control of his club house.

Liverpool, the Glazer family (Tampa Bay Bucs family ownership) owns Manchester United and the rest is a publicly traded company ($MANU).

Spencer 555
07-29-2018, 03:12 AM
I think your expectations are just unreasonably high Ach. Boston sports media is pretty much sensationalist bullshit imo.

The team is in first place and you have a young core that's setup to succeed and contend for years. Mookie Betts is giving trout a run for his money as the best player in baseball and I think you also have the best pitcher in baseball in Chris Sale. Most people would love to have a team of that caliber in their city.

You and gryph are gonna make me go nuts complaining about dynastic sports teams. Enjoy it while it lasts man.

Achilles
07-29-2018, 04:24 AM
Liverpool, the Glazer family (Tampa Bay Bucs family ownership) owns Manchester United and the rest is a publicly traded company ($MANU).

Ah my bad you're right, I know nothing about Premier League soccer, I got the teams mixed up.

I think your expectations are just unreasonably high Ach. Boston sports media is pretty much sensationalist bullshit imo.

The team is in first place and you have a young core that's setup to succeed and contend for years. Mookie Betts is giving trout a run for his money as the best player in baseball and I think you also have the best pitcher in baseball in Chris Sale. Most people would love to have a team of that caliber in their city.

You and gryph are gonna make me go nuts complaining about dynastic sports teams. Enjoy it while it lasts man.

This is what I mean when I say having access to local media totally changes your perception.

Boston is definitely the place to be for sports now. We win basically everything with regularity. But the Red Sox have been so fucked with management problems since 2013. The ownership is making outrageous money because Fenway is a huge tourist destination since it's a historic ballpark. It sells out basically every single game. They delivered the World Series and now it's basically just a money making factory for them.

We'll lose Mookie Betts, mark my words. He'll sign somewhere else. People here want these owners out. And like Gryph said, Dombrowski absolutely gutted our farm system for relatively nothing.

I do get what you're saying though, it's basically championship or bust in Boston no matter the sport. It's why David Price is miserable here, he flips out in the media almost daily because people are so critical. He can't wait to get out of here. It's super common among all four major sports for athletes to positively hate it here because our expectations are so high, and the city is just full of assholes.

And I don't mean that last part as a joke, people move here and hate how brutal we are about basically everything. It's a cultural thing, we're just really mean to each other in Boston. My ex-fiancee couldn't stand it here because of how mean everyone is, but I grew up here so I'm just used to it. So, again, David Price is the best example. The local journalists regularly crucify him and I'm like waiting to hear he shot up a school or something because he's slowly losing his mind. He can't wait to get out of here.

Spencer 555
07-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Ya I feel you Ach, I guess id just expect you to be "above" the lunacy, but I suppose that's not fair of me to assume considering you're not really a sports guy.

I think there are segments of every fan base who is like that tho honestly.

Achilles
07-29-2018, 03:59 PM
Ya I feel you Ach, I guess id just expect you to be "above" the lunacy, but I suppose that's not fair of me to assume considering you're not really a sports guy.

I think there are segments of every fan base who is like that tho honestly.

I mostly hate sports but I do like baseball. It was a wild ride seeing the Red Sox finally win in 2004. I can't stand football, which is funny being from here because we've ruled the NFL for years. I don't care about basketball or hockey either.

I totally understand we're spoiled in Boston. But people not from here don't realize what a mess the upper management of that team is. We've been scratching our heads for five years now trying to figure it out, and unfortunately Fenway has basically become a giant ATM machine for the owners. They'll do the bare minimum to get to the playoffs and nothing more.

Hugh
07-29-2018, 04:53 PM
The Royals won the World Series three years ago.
Today they’re 41 games under .500 with a -196 run differential. I mean holy fucking crap.

Hugh
07-29-2018, 04:58 PM
That’s just not true, Ach. There are lots of sports teams that do just the bare minimum to make money or stay competetuve and the 2018 Boston Red Sox aren’t that. Not even close. They have a $206 million dollar payroll, fucking loaded with talent, and by far the best record in all of baseball.

Hulky
07-29-2018, 07:24 PM
I hate the Patriots rule the NFL thing. I consider the Jets/Dolphins/Bills historically garbage. At least the Yankees/Red Sox play against each other so it's legit competitive. Patriots can do whatever the fuck they want until the playoffs because the three other teams are always bottom half teams and usually bottom 10.

Hugh
07-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the Jets are a terrible franchise. They sprinkle a good season in now and then, but overall they’ve been shit for as long as I’ve been watching football.

Achilles
07-29-2018, 09:02 PM
I haven't worded this well, which is my fault.

The Red Sox should be like when Steinbrenner ruled the MLB with more money than god. Considering their payroll, they have absolutely not done well in the post season the last few years. Again, coming here is a nightmare for a ton of athletes. David Price only came here for money and he still hasn't won a single post season game in his entire career.

This is what I mean when I say having access to local media makes it different, as it would in any city. We're absolutely doing better than most teams, there's no questioning that. But like I said, we're for sure going to lose Mookie Betts and probably Jackie Bradley Jr., which comes back to the Steinbrenner thing. They have the money but they won't use it, unlike Steinbrenner who did anything to win. It's just an ATM for them. Go look at the last few years, they gutted the farm system and we make it to the first round of the playoffs every year. Sometimes we don't even make it. But you can get sushi at Fenway and buy a neat pink hat!

They just turned it into a fan experience at this point with the Red Sox. I stopped watching. I'd kill to see them sell them to new owners.

Gryph
07-30-2018, 06:43 PM
I have no idea wtf Cashman is doing, so far he's cleared up 6 players from the 40 man roster, mostly for International spending money, and signed Osiel Rodgriguez the #1 guy from the pipeline last night, then dumps Warren for more money, Tyler Austin was seen shaking hands with players and coaches before departing field in the 4th inning of today's game, no official word, but he wasn't part of M's trade.

He's either protecting the guys who will be Rule 5 eligible, or he's clearing roster spots for someone huge, I don't really agree with most of it as he's basically gutted most of the frontend of our bullpen, leaving Shreve, Gallegos, and Warren who are long relievers, I honestly think he's putting too much faith in AJ Cole, John Holder, and whoever else is going to come up (most likely Acevado)

Hulky
07-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Lance Lynn

Gryph
07-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Yep, kinda weird choice. Like, I get why, but is he really -that- big of an upgrade over CC or Gray? Not really, he said he's willing to do relief as well, which doesn't really make a lot of sense considering you don't need to move Austin / Warren, and just go with a "if it aint broke dont fix it" approach. He's def gonna be a starter, just a weird choice.

Hugh
07-31-2018, 10:35 PM
Nationals scored 25 runs tonight. Lol. That team is so fucking weird.

Gryph
07-31-2018, 10:41 PM
that or the mets are just that shitty lol. I'm glad it happened to them honestly, everytime they fuck up and ruin the fans hopes it makes me happy to see them fail, eventually they'll learn their lesson

Spencer 555
08-01-2018, 07:29 AM
No they won't lol. Now that is a team that nickel and dimes it's way to a profit.

Spencer 555
08-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Lets see if Paxton can replicate his no hitter tn against the jays.

Hugh
08-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Hope so. We need a win. Ms are sliding big time.
I’m watching UFC tonight though.

Hulky
08-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Was pretty cool seeing that first game in the big leagues As OFer make that awesome throw, then win the OT game on his first hit deep.

Hugh
08-08-2018, 09:58 PM
RIP 2018 Seattle Mariners.
Ironic that after all the years of King Felix being great while the team sucked, he’s the biggest reason the team won’t make the playoffs this year. Sad really.

Hulky
08-09-2018, 12:08 AM
I hope this holds and the As beat Clayton Kershaw 2-1

Hugh
08-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Just took the lead.:)
The As are an amazing team. They blew by the Mariners like they were standing still. Can’t do anything but be impressed by how they always seem to find talent and be competitive.

Hulky
08-09-2018, 01:11 AM
awesome win

Spencer 555
08-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Matt Chapman might be my new favourite player

Hulky
08-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Matt Chapman might be my new favourite player

They gave away his jersey for one game if you went and tickets were like $30-$40.

I almost went because none of the stores locally carry named As jerseys because the As just trade the guy away and the store has to discount the crap out of them.

Spencer 555
08-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Become a baseball hipster and it doesn't matter if he plays for the As

Hulky
08-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Become a baseball hipster and it doesn't matter if he plays for the As

they still wont carry it though lol

Spencer 555
08-10-2018, 12:35 AM
I completely misread that post. Don't know what I thought u meant lol

Spencer 555
08-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Okay, im out on Bautista guys.

Hugh
08-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Yeah, he’s had it. Hard to imagine he’ll be around much longer. Officially below the Mendoza line.
Nelson Cruz on the other hand is still killing it at 38. Having another great year and still a top power hitter.
Boomstick > Joey Bats
:)

Hulky
08-12-2018, 11:15 AM
The rookie that got the walk off win with his first hit just had a sick defensive play: https://www.mlb.com/news/ramon-laureano-makes-incredible-throw-for-as/c-289951726

Spencer 555
08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Saw that pop up on my facebook today, didnt know they called him up. He made that look easy...

Hulky
08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
I forget who was CF at the game I went to (maybe Dexter Fowler?) but he refused to get near the wall like he was scared to get hurt. This dude is a huge improvement at least defensively.

Hugh
08-12-2018, 05:35 PM
So I write off the Mariners and they sweep the Astros in 4 games. This team drives me nuts.

Hugh
08-14-2018, 01:35 AM
So the Ms are down 6 to 7 in the 9th, runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs and Nelson Boomstick Cruz at the plate, the one guy you want in that situation...and Segura gets thrown out stealing 2nd.
You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Spencer 555
08-14-2018, 05:05 PM
baseball iq is real

Hugh
08-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Notice how we write off Bautista and he suddenly has a 7 RBI night?

Spencer 555
08-16-2018, 09:23 PM
Felix Hernandez is done... (O.o)

Achilles
08-18-2018, 06:18 AM
I have to admit, I think I was wrong about what I posted about the Red Sox. Any old school fan who watched them before they finally won in 2004 is always super skeptical about getting their hopes up about them just because we were always raised with the Curse of the Bambino thing and they always fucked everything up in the end... but they're absolutely killing it the last few weeks. The comeback last night against Tampa Bay was ridiculous. They went from being down late in the game to crushing them.

We're all just worried now they'll refuse to resign Mookie Betts. This ownership, with the exception of the Yankees, has the most money in baseball. And they've done it with no brainer resigns before, like Johnny Damon. They just bleed Fenway for money and let incredible players go constantly. If I were a betting man I'd bet we end up losing Mookie Betts once his contract is up because the way he's playing, he's going to end up demanding a king's ransom worth of money.

The only thing that concerns me is that they more or less gutted their whole farm system. They're definitely all in, I mean look at how they're playing, but they have to win now because there's absolutely nothing left now for them to follow up on and unless they spend a boatload of money on trades there's an inevitable dry spell coming a few years down the road as they traded basically all of our top prospects.

Hugh
08-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Felix Hernandez is done... (O.o)

Yep, stick a fork in him.
Thanks, Spencer.:)

Hulky
08-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Fuck yes Olson one game behind now

Spencer 555
08-18-2018, 12:48 PM
I have to admit, I think I was wrong about what I posted about the Red Sox. Any old school fan who watched them before they finally won in 2004 is always super skeptical about getting their hopes up about them just because we were always raised with the Curse of the Bambino thing and they always fucked everything up in the end... but they're absolutely killing it the last few weeks. The comeback last night against Tampa Bay was ridiculous. They went from being down late in the game to crushing them.

We're all just worried now they'll refuse to resign Mookie Betts. This ownership, with the exception of the Yankees, has the most money in baseball. And they've done it with no brainer resigns before, like Johnny Damon. They just bleed Fenway for money and let incredible players go constantly. If I were a betting man I'd bet we end up losing Mookie Betts once his contract is up because the way he's playing, he's going to end up demanding a king's ransom worth of money.

The only thing that concerns me is that they more or less gutted their whole farm system. They're definitely all in, I mean look at how they're playing, but they have to win now because there's absolutely nothing left now for them to follow up on and unless they spend a boatload of money on trades there's an inevitable dry spell coming a few years down the road as they traded basically all of our top prospects.

I would highly doubt the red sox fail to resign Betts. I think at this point hes the new face of the franchize and the red sox have historically treated their BEST players very well (ortiz/pedroia) until their mid - late 30s.. justifiably so. That being said, there is a small reckoning (in terms of player payroll) coming and this red sox team is probably the best possible team you're going to see for the next couple years. Dombrowski is notorious for gutting farm systems in order to go for high impact players, but this is how you win championships. Even Theo has fucked up the cubs system in order to maximize his world series chances, it's what you do when its the right time to go for it or you're trying to extend your window of contention.

Hulky
08-18-2018, 04:08 PM
They'd trade him before losing him

Hugh
08-18-2018, 05:40 PM
The Red Sox aren’t going to trade or lose Mookie Betts. Spencer is right.

Achilles
08-18-2018, 10:14 PM
They'd trade him before losing him

I can't imagine they'd trade him, as he's one of those players where there's not much worth trading him for he's so wildly talented.

The Red Sox aren’t going to trade or lose Mookie Betts. Spencer is right.

I hope you're right. Like I said, I don't think they'll trade him, I just know this ownership from living here and they do have a history of refusing to resign no-brainer amazing players.

I guess from the perspective of someone from Boston with access to more local media and the physical ballpark - a lot of us want the owner John Henry to sell. I'm not saying they're not all in now, they obviously are. But he's fucked up with not paying managers and players for years if you look at it in a macroscopic sense. Johnny Damon, Jason Bay, hell - he gave up arguably the best GM in baseball in baseball history who ended the Red Sox drought AND the Cubs because he wanted his idiot rich friend to have more decision making power and Theo was like "I ended one of the two most historic World Series droughts in baseball history." And Theo was right, it was all him, he built everything for 2004, 2007, and even though he was gone, the team that won in 2013 was largely all his doing.

John Henry has more money than god, and he was all in for 2004. But the way Fenway Park has transformed has made it almost unrecognizable. He just added a bunch of high end food and branded the team super well, and turned it from a baseball park to a tourist trap. It's obvious to all of us old school fans here that he got his World Series, he created a product, branded it, and now it's more for sight seeing for tourists than it is for local baseball fans. It's the most expensive park in the MLB to go to in every regard - tickets, food, drinks, memorabilia - and that's actually a fact. So he's content with the team being just good enough to being playoff contenders because it will keep interest and maintain cash flow, but he doesn't give two shits if they win, he, as I said before, basically just turned Fenway into a giant ATM machine for himself.

So with their history of letting great players go under this ownership, I don't know Hugh and Hulky, I could totally see them letting him walk if he asks to get paid. The evidence is on my side, they've done it an unreal amount of times despite having a ton of money to spend. I hope I'm wrong but I'll bet you they lose him. Especially because the Yankees are willing to pay anything and just throw fistfuls of cash at players.

Hulky
08-19-2018, 02:55 AM
If Mookie wanted what he deserves which is probably Harper money and the RedSox for some reason had no intention they'd just trade him

Achilles
08-19-2018, 03:57 AM
That'd be even worse IMO. He's beyond valuable and there's nothing out there worth trading for him. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, I just know this team. They'll let him walk, they always do. If they win this year he's out the door guaranteed. They'll have made their money and he'll end up in New York.

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Baseball stadiums are almost all going that route. I think its kinda nice to have the stadium rejuvenated and modernized. New generations of fans want craft beers, local/gourmet restaurants, daycare and various other family activities in the stadium. The days where you go to a stadium with your family to simply watch a baseball game are gone, so you're seeing stadiums add things like this to the stadiums to draw more casual fans and families.

The blue jays ownership actually has the most money in baseball if we look at the networth of the rogers family (much more then John Henry or Hal Steinbrenner) and there exists a laundry list of things that need to be improved on the stadium but ownership simply refuses to budge on.

This ownership bought the team in 1995 for pennies proceeded to destroy the team that had just won 2 world series back to back and dominate most of the 1980s. From their they continually missed the playoffs for 20+ years and swiftly undid the team after making the playoffs for 2 measly years in 2015 and 16

In 2005, Rogers purchased the Skydome renamed it the Rogers centre, and have not made any notable renovations or refurbishments since then. They've sold out to maximize profits at almost every possible chance, they're in the process of gutting the team's payroll and are butting heads with our team president because he's trying to get them to spend money on needed stadium renovations and refurbishments. The stadium is (I believe) one of if not the oldest stadiums in baseball not to have undergone any serious renovations, and their are whispers that theyre looking to sell the team. Makes sense, because the estimated minimum reno costs for the stadium are in excess of 500 million dollars... so we'll see what happens to the team. It would be absolutely criminal of rogers to sell the team at this time, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Here are two interesting articles about stadium fan experiences.

https://www.reviewtrackers.com/fan-sentiment-best-baseball-stadiums/

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/introducing-the-fan-experience-index/

Achilles
08-19-2018, 05:09 PM
What? The Rogers Centre was built in 1989. It's far from the oldest stadium in baseball. It's also the ugliest stadium in baseball in my opinion.

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Oldest in baseball that hasnt been refurbished or upgraded in any way. It is exactly the same as it was back then besides general maintenance and repairs.

Fenway has seen many upgrades over the years and so has wrigley.

In terms of oldest stadiums in general, 1989 actually is one of the older stadiums in baseball.

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 05:43 PM
I totally agree it is the ugliest stadium in baseball. It was designed to be useful moreso then architecturally pretty. It needs to be bulldozed tho.

KBHoleN1
08-19-2018, 05:47 PM
What? The Rogers Centre was built in 1989. It's far from the oldest stadium in baseball. It's also the ugliest stadium in baseball in my opinion.

You have a really bad habit of not reading people's posts all the way through and starting an argument based off of something they didn't say.

Spencer said it's one of the "oldest stadiums in baseball not to have undergone any serious renovations." That's a word-for-word quote from his post. Rogers Centre is currently the 7th oldest stadium in MLB, and he's probably right about it being the only one of the older stadium not to have undergone serious renovations. Kauffman Stadium went through some big renovations in 2006 to modernize it and increase fan experience. Fenway has had improvements since 2000 (like the Green Monster seats and some of the grandstand areas), Wrigley has been going through some cosmetic improvements the last few years, the Dodgers have spent hundreds of millions to build shops and restaurants around the stadium and improve entrances, etc. I think the only thing Rogers Centre got was a new scoreboard over the years.

Hulky
08-19-2018, 06:05 PM
what
As is from 1965 and was redone "" before the Raiders left Oakland for LA and the "redone" was adding Mount Davis which the As don't use. I'd be surprised as shit if Oakland Coliseum isn't the most outdated in baseball (or football).

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Honestly didnt view it as him trying to start an argument with me. Im cool explaining myself.

That being said, KB, you're a badass and your post made me very happy. I had no idea you knew as much about this kinda stuff as I do. It makes me feel like less of a baseball nut job.

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 06:12 PM
@hulky ya O.co is hilariously bad too. Check the articles I posted.

Achilles
08-19-2018, 06:23 PM
You have a really bad habit of not reading people's posts all the way through and starting an argument based off of something they didn't say.

Spencer said it's one of the "oldest stadiums in baseball not to have undergone any serious renovations." That's a word-for-word quote from his post. Rogers Centre is currently the 7th oldest stadium in MLB, and he's probably right about it being the only one of the older stadium not to have undergone serious renovations. Kauffman Stadium went through some big renovations in 2006 to modernize it and increase fan experience. Fenway has had improvements since 2000 (like the Green Monster seats and some of the grandstand areas), Wrigley has been going through some cosmetic improvements the last few years, the Dodgers have spent hundreds of millions to build shops and restaurants around the stadium and improve entrances, etc. I think the only thing Rogers Centre got was a new scoreboard over the years.

My bad, I did misread it. I wasn't starting an argument, I was asking a question about what he said. I hope it's obvious I'm an easy going dude.

Yeah, Fenway is unrecognizable to me now. It's unreal how different it is now. They started changing it around the early 2000s.

Spencer 555
08-19-2018, 06:31 PM
From an outside perspective, the changes theyve made have been really good. But I get where you're comin from :)

Hulky
08-19-2018, 07:26 PM
@hulky ya O.co is hilariously bad too. Check the articles I posted.

it is hilariously bad, but so much fun and so cheap compared to other high end pro sports. It's like MLS soccer cheap (if not more so).

kinda funny the second worst experience from your link was Tropicana which I thought was worse (imo). I've been to Rays As and Giants. Giants is amazing and luxurious and I assume thats what most are. As feels like baseball. Rays was like "okay I was gifted these tickets and it's aight".

Hugh
08-22-2018, 12:13 AM
Khris Davis is having an MVP type season. Not saying he’ll win over Martinez, Betts or Jose Ramirez but there’s lots of games left and he’s heating up. I do think he’s more valuable to his team than those guys, meaning without Davis I dont think Oakland is in the playoffs at all. Same might be the case for those other guys but I’m not as sure.

Achilles
08-22-2018, 03:40 AM
That's always been an interesting thing to me with the MVP. League MVP I feel like they should just be judging the player as an individual playing in the overall league in a vacuum, not measure him against his team. But for the World Series MVP it should absolutely be taken into consideration how much they contributed to their own team.

Like, I don't like football but Tom Brady gets Superbowl MVP every single time they've won. Every time he has one there are definitely other people more deserving in terms of how much they contributed to the overall team winning. If you want to give him league MVP for his seasonal numbers in a vacuum irrespective of who he's playing for, that makes sense.

Just my opinion.

Hulky
08-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Like, I don't like football but Tom Brady gets Superbowl MVP every single time they've won.

Deion Branch got it in the 3rd SB win. (Tom, Tom, Deion Branch, Eli, Eli, Malcolm Smith, Tom, Nick Foles [it's kinda hilarious the list of people who beat Tom Brady in retrospect, like why isn't it Brees/Rodgers/Wilson or whatever actually MVP type player fucking NFC is wild])

League MVP isn't just individual stats though, it's usually individual stats + team success. However a player on a stacked team where they aren't necessarily carrying the team still can win it (and usually does) over someone with slightly more stats on a less successful team, but they carried the team.

Like CY Young this year has Jacob DeGrom in the running but he has so many loses and his team sucks so he likely doesn't get it even though his numbers are competitive. Or last year Jose Altuve didn't have the -best- stats, but they were close enough plus he was the best of the Astros batters. Before him though it's usually Trout whose team is dog shit but he is a baseball tier by himself.

I think MVP this year is JD Martinez. Adding him put Boston over the hump plus things like him teaching Devers how to improve just gives him the veteran role model-y type edge I think.

Still think in the NFL Brees should won a couple MVP over Peyton and JJ Watt should have gotten MVP the year he went insane on defense plus had offensive TDs.

Achilles
08-22-2018, 02:14 PM
I don't know enough about football to debate to be honest, I've just seen it as I live here and I figured it was a fitting example for the point I was trying to make. I guess in my opinion as far as league MVP goes, if someone gets stuck on a shitty team and they still crush it, they should be measured in a vacuum in my opinion instead of against the overall performance of their team. Because someone could beat them who was massively supported by a much better team that helped their performance, even though the better player just had less support.

But as I said, I feel the opposite for World Series MVP. I think you should absolutely have to factor in how much they helped the team and contributed to everyone's overall performance to win. Because it's not a huge macroscopic field to measure, just two teams.

Spencer 555
08-22-2018, 03:18 PM
I think the MVP in baseball actually does a pretty good job (at least lately) of measuring the stats in a vacuum. Trout likely would win MVP every single year (excluding this year) if we went stritcly by "BEST" player of any given year, but I think things like durability, clutchness and playing for a playoff team still matter. All things being close, Im going to break the tie with the player that plays for the best team.

My picks if the season ended right now:

AL mvp: It's ridiculously close, but Im gonna say JD Martinez. Jose Ramirez is a damn close second and I think Betts has missed a bit too much time.

AL cy: I think Verlander wins it running away. If its close down the stretch, im giving it to verly to make up for the porcello travesty.

NL mvp: I think it goes to whoevers team makes the playoffs, but its between Freddy Freeman and Arenado for me. Carpenter will probably finish with the best stats, but they aren't soo much better then Arenado or Freeman that he will have a chance.

NL Cy: Scherzer. Excellent case of the team success doesnt matter. He wins the CY regardless because he's been so much better then everyone else. Degrom would have been in contention and I think Nola/Corbin will get some good votes if their teams make the playoffs.. but Scherzer is the best pitcher in baseball.

Spencer 555
08-22-2018, 03:20 PM
NL MVP: Freeman. Forgot to answer.

I think Jose ramirez will probably end up surpassing JD Martinez, but that race is insanely close.

Sanosuke
08-22-2018, 06:40 PM
As much as I want Freeman to win MVP, it can't not be Arenado imo.

KBHoleN1
08-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Today I bought tickets for Braves vs Phillies Sept 21 and Sept 23 (last home game of the season in Atlanta). Wife and I are heading down for a long weekend and visit SunTrust for the first time. I'm pretty excited.

Spencer 555
08-22-2018, 07:45 PM
If the rockies don't make the playoffs and the braves win the division, I don't know how Freeman doesn't win it. The homers are gonna hurt him, I suppose.

Sanosuke
08-22-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm super jealous of you KB. I've been to the Ted well over 30-40 times but have yet to make it out to SunTrust. Let me know how it goes and advice on parking!

Da Gyps
08-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Worst season in Royals history is saying something, that's for sure.

KBHoleN1
08-22-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm super jealous of you KB. I've been to the Ted well over 30-40 times but have yet to make it out to SunTrust. Let me know how it goes and advice on parking!

We're staying out at the Battery, so we won't have to deal with game parking, which I'm excited about.

Spencer 555
08-23-2018, 08:23 PM
I saw a kid today wearing a shirt that said "Baseballism" I want it.

KBHoleN1
08-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Acuna hit a 432-ft bomb today in Miami and damaged a wall. Quite the fuck-you to the Marlins.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/ronald-acuna-jrs-homer-caused-structural-damage/c-291660352

Spencer 555
08-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Was listening to an espn fantasy focus podcast for the first time in a long time the other day, or maybe it was another random baseball podcast, and they were saying they didn't really believe in Acuna as a potential 30 homer 20 steal guy going into next season (first round pick) because they didnt really believe in the power projection quite yet... I don't know how you can look at that swing and not think this dude could hit 40 let alone 30. He's the best prospect Ive seen since trout honestly, and that's saying a whole lot because of all the awesome young position players in the league right now.

Sanosuke
08-23-2018, 11:57 PM
Acuña is the best prospect the Braves have had since Andruw Jones. He's very much the real deal. He should not be batting leadoff next year though. He needs to be behind Freeman.

Spencer 555
08-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Id be moving him to CF too.

Spencer 555
08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Inciarte is an elite LFer defensively and very good RFer by all accounts. I don't know why Acuna isn't, maybe small sample, but he's probably a better CFer then inciarte. It would be a big upgrade imo to switch them.

manonfire101
09-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Large series against the Dodgers in Denver starting Friday for the Rockies. And then a 4-game series against the Dbacks following that. Every game feels like a playoff game right now. The NL is so exciting. The AL is pretty much already decided.

Spencer 555
09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Ya its really exciting to watch right now. I honestly have no clue who's gonna make the playoffs right now. I think the braves and cubs are the only "surefire" teams right now and everyone else looks like they have a good chance.

Hugh
09-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Khris Davis has a .247 batting average...for the last 4 seasons. Seriously look it up. The last 4 years he’s ended the season with a .247 batting average. Someone was talking about how he’s had at least 40 HRs and 100 RBI the last 3 seasons and that surprised me so I looked up his stats. How weird is it to have the EXACT same batting average ever year.

Gryph
09-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Krush Davis is the epitome of consistency, I love him as a player, dude has light tower power lol. Despite the semi low average, he'll cost a fortune in free agency once he hits, cause one thing you can count on him doing is being consistent and delivering at or near that statline every year.

Hugh
09-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Trout went 5 for 5 with 5 RBI tonight.
He’s pretty good.

KBHoleN1
09-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Khris Davis has a .247 batting average...for the last 4 seasons. Seriously look it up. The last 4 years he’s ended the season with a .247 batting average. Someone was talking about how he’s had at least 40 HRs and 100 RBI the last 3 seasons and that surprised me so I looked up his stats. How weird is it to have the EXACT same batting average ever year.

538 did an article about how weird it is:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-consistent-hitter-in-baseball-history/

manonfire101
09-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Going to the Rockies/Nats game tomorrow.

Rockies are 1 game up on the Dodgers for the division and 2 games up on the Cardinals for the wild card with 3 games left to play. They have a chance to secure at least a wild card spot with a win and a Cardinals lost. And Kyle Freeland is pitching for the Rockies who has been filthy all season. Can't wait!

Spencer 555
09-27-2018, 07:45 PM
That's awesome Manon, happy for you! Fuck the dodgers!

Spencer 555
09-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Surprised they arent starting Marquez today.

Spencer 555
09-30-2018, 06:06 PM
mooore baseball woo

Hugh
09-30-2018, 08:05 PM
Khris Davis finished the season with a .247 average...for the 4th consecutive year.
That’s the weirdest sports statistic I’ve ever heard. When you think about how many at bats, scenarios, variables there are over a 162 game season, having the EXACT same batting average even 2 years in a row seems impossible. But 4 straight?! Makes my head hurt.

Spencer 555
10-01-2018, 07:29 AM
Jesus, thats nutty lol

manonfire101
10-03-2018, 01:09 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss

manonfire101
10-03-2018, 01:15 AM
Rockies!!!!!!!

Spencer 555
10-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Weird that everyone is treating it like its a huge shock, the cubs pitching has been questionable all year.

Spencer 555
10-03-2018, 07:57 AM
In fact, I just read a fangraphs article stating the rockies actually are better on paper in the playoffs due to some cubs injuries.

manonfire101
10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Rockies have a good chance to win any game when Freeland is pitching so. I wasn't surprised that they won, just happy. Game could have gone either way.

Hulky
10-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the win Manon!
Let's go Oakland

manonfire101
10-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks Hulky. I would like to see the A's come out of the AL. Good luck tonight.

Greendaybum5
10-03-2018, 07:35 PM
I actually am pulling for the Yankees tonight. Would be fun to see BoSox/NYY in playoffs. I may go up for a game if that happens.

Achilles
10-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Depending on the timing you can crash here if you come up. I'm right off of a T stop that can get you to the Fens. As long as you don't mind sleeping on a couch or an air mattress.

Spencer 555
10-04-2018, 12:09 PM
I think Blake Treinen gave up more runs last night the he gave up the whole season lol that was pretty disappointed :(

Yanks deserve it tho, I think Id make them the favourites to win the WS now.

Hulky
10-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Indians and Rockies would be my favorite WS to watch this year
if not Indians then Yankees if not Rockies then Brewers

worst for me would be Astros Braves

Spencer 555
10-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Go rockies.

manonfire101
10-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Should have scored more than 2 runs in the 9th inning.

Should not have given Moustakas 4 straight fastballs right down the middle of the fucking plate in extra innings. Probably shouldn't have even pitched to Moustakas. What a stupid way to lose a game.

Hugh
10-08-2018, 11:40 PM
George Springer = Nails. Dude is cash money in the post season.

Spencer 555
10-09-2018, 09:37 AM
The astros pretty much look unstoppable.

Achilles
10-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Yeeee Boston. Also, fuck you New York.

Sorry, I'm obligated to hate them. We all are.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNSyQktZ/43487672_10156211486016773_8550833256981856256_n.j pg

Spencer 555
10-10-2018, 03:53 PM
based on some of ur posts earlier ach, I thought the pics of the people in the meme were boston fans.

"meh, they'll probably just lose to houston cause david price sucks and our ownership doesn't want us to win"

Achilles
10-10-2018, 06:55 PM
I was super apathetic about them. But they picked up their pace a ton and I ended up being wrong.

Spencer 555
10-12-2018, 09:10 AM
xD

Okay, you are forgiven Ach. Ill stop bein a prick now <3.

Spencer 555
10-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Im so excited for this matchup. Best pitching vs best hitting, lets go.

Achilles
10-12-2018, 10:01 PM
I do however think they're still going to end up losing Betts once he gets to free agency.

Spencer 555
10-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Im almost convinced you're a masochist Ach

Achilles
10-12-2018, 10:17 PM
No, it's a Boston thing. Everyone here is always down on the Red Sox because the ownership has fucked up so bad so many times. We always expect the worst. Plus, history is on my side with this one - they've let a ton of great players walk even though they have more than enough money. It's what the Red Sox are known for, it's just a fact. I still cringe thinking about them letting Johnny Damon walk. It'd be one thing if we were some small market team, but it's the fucking Red Sox. The ownership is more concerned with selling god damn sushi in the ball park than they are the future of the team. As long as they can keep the seats filled. This season reminds me of 2013, they caught lightning in a bottle.

Spencer 555
10-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Have you seen that southpark episode about new jersey?

Achilles
10-13-2018, 12:02 PM
No, I don't watch South Park. Or really any TV for that matter. Why do you ask though?

Spencer 555
10-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Me neither. I used used to watch south park religiously though and there's an episode called "It's a Jersey thing".

Basically, people from jersey start infesting the rest of america with their goofy accents and antics, and whenever anyone questions them, they say "It's just a Jersey thing, you wouldn't understsnd".

Achilles
10-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Ah yeah, I get it. That shit's true though. We're like a micro culture in a vacuum here with sports. It's difficult for people to understand what it's like here if they haven't lived here. Like you where you are, you probably think there's no way they'd trade Betts or let him walk in free agency - we're all just bummed out and waiting for it to happen.

Gryph
10-13-2018, 07:54 PM
So in honor of upcoming Free Agency, my dream scenario :

Patrick Corbin - 5 years / 110mil
Aj. Pollack - 4 years / 60/70 mil
Jeurys Familia - 3 years / 32 mil

Spencer 555
10-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Fangraphs estimates the yankees are going to have roughly 80 mill to spend this offseason.

Spencer 555
10-13-2018, 10:02 PM
80 mill aav

Achilles
10-19-2018, 12:12 AM
This is just getting crazy. If the Red Sox win this we easily secured the craziest sports dynasty across all four major sports ever. Patriots 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2017. Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013. Celtics 2008. Bruins 2011. Plus a Celtics Finals appearance they lost. and a Bruins Stanley Cup appearance they lost, and the two Super Bowl appearances they lost. This has been so much fun. I've never seen anything like it.

The Butcher
10-19-2018, 10:17 AM
This is just getting crazy. If the Red Sox win this we easily secured the craziest sports dynasty across all four major sports ever. Patriots 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2017. Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013. Celtics 2008. Bruins 2011. Plus a Celtics Finals appearance they lost. and a Bruins Stanley Cup appearance they lost, and the two Super Bowl appearances they lost. This has been so much fun. I've never seen anything like it.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YyaK_qzy1R8/maxresdefault.jpg

Achilles
10-19-2018, 11:23 AM
I actually hate football and never watch it and think it's the dumbest sport to ever be created and paste needs to be 60% of your diet to enjoy watching it, so I have no fucking clue what that is. I don't even know how to play football or any of the rules. I remember MIT did a study a few years back where they determined that on average they only actually play football for 9% of the actual football broadcast. It's basically just hours of you watching people in pads walk around with their hands on their hips, shots of the coaches with headsets on, shots of the crowd. They more or less don't play football. And it was like quantifiable data so it's not my opinion. Nothing happens in football. So even if whatever that this photo is is something bad, I genuinely don't care. If I was a dictator my first act would be to eliminate football. It's like watching people who are bored in a doctor's office fiddling around waiting for their appointment. There's literally a study that shows you just watch people stand around.

Hulky
10-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Bay Area in the 1970s-1980s:
Athletics: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
Raiders: 1977, 1981, 1984
Warriors: 1975
49ers: 1982, 1985, 1989

if you extend to include all of California the Lakers won six championships in that 2 decade span as well: 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88
plus there was a Californian in the presidency for the majority of the era (Nixon until 74, then Reagan 81-89)

that's gotta be somewhat comparable right?

Achilles
10-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Yeah that's probably the only one though that I can think of though that's comparable. I don't think anything like this has happened other than this and where you are in the Bay Area. The only difference is I got to live it which was a much difference experience. I hate basketball and football but I like baseball and hockey, but no less it's been a prolific time to be a sports fan in Boston. The Celtics, even though I don't care about basketball, are absolutely going to own the East now. The Patriots are on the tail end of their dynasty with Tom Brady being as old as he is, but they obviously got their worth out of him. The Bruins are always in contention (though most of us here feel they should have won more than they did, they sort of under preformed), and the Red Sox look like they're set up to be a dynasty for the next few years.

It's funny too because Boston SUCKED at every sport when I was a kid in the nineties. We didn't win a damn thing. Once the Patriots won in 2001 it was just insane, we started winning absolutely everything across all four sports. I don't even think it's up for debate that we're the most prolific sports town of the last twenty years, and by a huge margin. It'll come to an end eventually, it always does, but it's at least been a fun ride.

But yeah, Bay Area is probably the only thing that's similar.

Hulky
10-19-2018, 02:26 PM
uh... I grew up with it too.
49ers dominate in the 90s (2 SB, but it was basically was Cowboys v. 49ers the AFC was irrelevant), then Lakers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, then Warriors, 2015, 2017, 2018. Angels who no one cares about unless you are vacationing in the summer to Disneyland pick up a game on the week trip, they even won in 2002. Then Giants won the world series in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Plus although not the same the whole Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa thing was awesome and Bonds was in SF and McGwire went insane in St Louis he was still rooted for heavily in Oakland -- Sammy Sosa was kinda the villian. It's not like the Bay Area or CA became irrelevant after the 70s/80s era. I include Lakers because that is more heavily rooted for in the Bay Area than like the Kings -- it's prolly 59%/39%/2% Warriors/Lakers/Kings fans.

California has won the NBA Championship 8 times in the last 18 years. Plus have Kevin Durant/Thompson/Green/Curry/(Cousins?) superteam and LeBron in LA. California is winning next yet too.

Hulky
10-19-2018, 02:26 PM
uh... I grew up with it too.
49ers dominate in the 90s (2 SB, but it was basically was Cowboys v. 49ers the AFC was irrelevant), then Lakers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, then Warriors, 2015, 2017, 2018. Angels who no one cares about unless you are vacationing in the summer to Disneyland pick up a game on the week trip, they even won in 2002. Then Giants won the world series in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Plus although not the same the whole Barry Bonds/Mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa thing was awesome and Bonds was in SF and McGwire went insane in St Louis he was still rooted for heavily in Oakland -- Sammy Sosa was kinda the villian. It's not like the Bay Area or CA became irrelevant after the 70s/80s era. I include Lakers because that is more heavily rooted for in the Bay Area than like the Kings -- it's prolly 59%/39%/2% Warriors/Lakers/Kings fans.

California has won the NBA Championship 8 times in the last 18 years. Plus have Kevin Durant/Thompson/Green/Curry/(Cousins?) superteam and LeBron in LA. California is winning next yet too.

Spencer 555
10-19-2018, 02:48 PM
I actually hate football and never watch it and think it's the dumbest sport to ever be created and paste needs to be 60% of your diet to enjoy watching it, so I have no fucking clue what that is. I don't even know how to play football or any of the rules. I remember MIT did a study a few years back where they determined that on average they only actually play football for 9% of the actual football broadcast. It's basically just hours of you watching people in pads walk around with their hands on their hips, shots of the coaches with headsets on, shots of the crowd. They more or less don't play football. And it was like quantifiable data so it's not my opinion. Nothing happens in football. So even if whatever that this photo is is something bad, I genuinely don't care. If I was a dictator my first act would be to eliminate football. It's like watching people who are bored in a doctor's office fiddling around waiting for their appointment. There's literally a study that shows you just watch people stand around.

Here here!

Spencer 555
10-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Toronto has drake tho

Achilles
10-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Bay Area in the 1970s-1980s:
Athletics: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
Raiders: 1977, 1981, 1984
Warriors: 1975
49ers: 1982, 1985, 1989

if you extend to include all of California the Lakers won six championships in that 2 decade span as well: 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88
plus there was a Californian in the presidency for the majority of the era (Nixon until 74, then Reagan 81-89)

that's gotta be somewhat comparable right?

I know Hulky, I was speaking to this. You didn't live this is what I meant.

Hugh
10-19-2018, 04:49 PM

I love football. Loved playing it, love watching it. I love everything about it.
I have zero interest in WWE but lots of people in here love it. That’s cool. You don’t see me ripping it or calling them retards.

Achilles
10-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Sorry, my bad. I was probably a little harsh. I get a little too blunt when I think out loud plus I have harsh sense of humor that I sometimes do a bad job at making it obvious I'm joking. You're right, I didn't mean to seem disrespectful.

I guess in a more poised and respectful way I just don't understand what's likable about it? The plays only last like a few seconds and it stops constantly. Like I said, there's quantifiable data that shows that they don't play much football in a football game relative to the broadcast. I know most people argue it's like a game of chess, so I suppose if that's your thing then it's all you and enjoy it; I'm well aware that I'm absolutely in the minority in my opinion of the game. I just personally have never understood the appeal. I haven't watched a football game probably since the nineties, it just bores me to tears. But I mean whatever, different strokes for different folks.

I always wondered why rugby never became popular here. People love football for a lot of reasons but the hits are obviously a huge appeal to people. Rugby is brutal and fast paced, it's something I think Americans would really like. I always thought it was odd it didn't have more of a following in the US.

Hulky
10-19-2018, 05:50 PM
I know Hulky, I was speaking to this. You didn't live this is what I meant.

12 championships in NBA and MLB since 2000 for CA. Definitely grew up with the Steve Young Jerry Rice (and then Jerry in Oakland) era. Oakland and SF both went and lost a SB since 2000 as well. Dodgers lost the world series last year and likely go this year as well.

1988: Lakers (Champion), Dodgers (Champion), Athletics (Lost Championship), Jose Canseco (MVP, Athletics)
1989: Athletics (Champion), Giants (Lost Championship) 49ers (Champion), Joe Montana (MVP, 49ers), Magic Johnson (MVP)
1990: 49ers (Champion), Athletics (Lost Championship) Joe Montana (MVP, 49ers), Magic Johnson (MVP)
1991:
1992: Steve Young (MVP, 49ers)
1993: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants)
1994: Steve Young (MVP, 49ers)
1995: 49ers (Champion), Chargers (Lost Championship)
1996:
1997:
1998: Padres (Lost Championship)
1999:
2000: Lakers (Champion), Jason Giambi (MVP, Athletics), Shaq (MVP)
2001: Lakers (Champion), Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), San Jose Earthquakes (Champion)
2002: Lakers (Champion), Angels (Champion), Giants (Lost Championship), Rich Gannon (MVP, Athletics), Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), LA Galaxy (Champion)
2003: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants), San Jose Earthquakes (Champion), Raiders (Lost Championship), Anaheim Mighty Ducks (Champion)
2004: Barry Bonds (MVP, Giants)
2005: LA Galaxy (Champion)
2006: LaDainian Tomlinson (MVP, Chargers)
2007: Anaheim Ducks (Champion)
2008: Kobe Bryant (MVP)
2009: Lakers (Champion)
2010: Lakers (Champion), Giants (Champion)
2011: LA Galaxy (Champion)
2012: Giants (Champion), Buster Posey (MVP, Giants), LA Galaxy, LA Kings (Champion)
2013: 49ers (Lost Championship)
2014: Giants (Champion), LA Galaxy (Champion), LA Kings (Champion)
2015: Warriors (Champion), Steph Curry (MVP)
2016: Steph Curry (MVP), San Jose Sharks (Lost Championship)
2017: Warriors (Champion), Dodgers (Lost Championship)
2018: Warriors (Champion), Dodgers (???)

I dunno California has been pretty good in my lifetime too...

Achilles
10-19-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm saying what's going down in Boston is a generational thing that doesn't happen in most places. I'm not saying it hasn't happened other places. California has absolutely had a good run. Just that what's happening here is pretty extraordinary, most cities don't get something like this where they dominate in all four sports for this long. So I mean you're just as lucky as I am. You included MLS too - the Revolution haven't won but they've been damn good for a long time. We're spoiled here currently is my point.

Spencer 555
10-19-2018, 06:13 PM
My point is that Boston doesn't have drake tho

Achilles
10-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Ah man I'm pumped for Tuesday. This is a cool match up. This'll be fun no matter who wins.

Achilles
10-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Wooooooooo.

Spencer 555
10-24-2018, 03:57 PM
its so weird seeing aces go only 4-5 innings

Hulky
10-24-2018, 06:13 PM
kinda happens when you give up so many runs though

Achilles
10-25-2018, 01:29 AM
I think I'm going to go out tomorrow to watch the game. One more and the Red Sox have this wrapped up in my opinion.

Spencer 555
10-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I can't see them dropping 2 at fenway. I think it should be over now. Really happy for price to get that monkey off his back, hopefully boston fans start appreciating him for what he is.

Achilles
10-25-2018, 11:44 PM
An overrated dick? He definitely hasn't won Boston's fans hearts. He's getting paid an absurd amount of money. He got that win and he pitched well. But for me personally of we win and he was traded or he walked in free agency I'd be fine with it. Even prefer it.

Achilles
10-27-2018, 03:41 AM
That was the most annoyingly long baseball game ever. I don't even care that we lost. I'm just glad it's over. What the fuck.

Spencer 555
10-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Ya that was brutal lol, I made it to the 8th and then had to get to sleep.

Price is probably the best pitcher from his generation not going to make it to the hall of fame. I think he earned the contract he has.

Achilles
10-27-2018, 09:44 PM
He's outright hated here. He's absolutely miserable being in Boston. I've said it before but a lot of athletes - and not just in baseball, all sports - fucking hate coming to Boston because the media here is extreeeeemely harsh. We have high expectations, probably unreasonably high, since we've won so much over the years, so the general public is relentlessly critical of basically everyone in every sport to the point of honestly being really mean. It's like a known thing, a ton of people have vocalized they hate being in Boston because it's basically like a colony of merciless pricks. David Price has been very vocal that he hates it here, and we all know he only came for the money. He's super overrated and the entire city wants him gone because he's such a huge waste of money. I think it was like a 230 million dollar contract, and he absolutely is not worth that money. I'll be really surprised if they resign him. He bitches about how the press is too mean here in the media on an almost daily basis, he's like a fucking child and calls out journalists all the time saying nobody like him. Fuck off. Go to the south or something where people are more mild mannered, you're an adult and you chose to come here. If I were the Red Sox I'd just tell him not to let the door hit him on the ass on his way out. Whiney little fucker.

Spencer 555
10-28-2018, 10:03 AM
He actually is probably worth the contract he has, it's just not a value in any sort of way. It's an albatross ofc, and it will severely impair the financial flexibility of signing all your young studs, but that was his market, and for a pitcher his age, I think he's doing an adequate job.

But as you said, Boston fans and media have unreasonably high expectations because they are god's gift to the world. I'd honestly be doing the same thing Price is doing lol, what's his obligation to be nice to people who are so disrespectful to him? They pay him to play baseball, not pander to Boston fans.

Achilles
10-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Yeeeeeee. Fuck you the rest of America.

manonfire101
10-29-2018, 12:37 AM
Gratz. I only wish you had swept them.

Spencer 555
10-29-2018, 05:36 AM
grats Ach

Achilles
10-29-2018, 05:39 AM
My cousin's coming up for the parade to stay with me. I'm probably going to get into a fight. Parade day in Boston = day you get into a fist fight day. It's like a hundred thousand people who started drinking at dawn. I got into a fight with an off duty state trooper when the Bruins won in 2011 because he was mad I accidentally bumped into him in a crowd, I had some girl in a skimpy dress take off her shoe and try to beat me with it on Park Street when the Celtics won in 2008 while screaming at me that I was a cock sucker, and I still don't know why, but she was so drunk she could barely stand. In 2013 when the Red Sox won some guy who was already bloodied up and shitfaced picked a fight with me for no reason in this dive bar and tried to punch me but missed and fell down. I fucking love Boston. It's weird that we have all the best hospitals in the world and also like MIT and Harvard and shit because it's just like a million angry, unpolite drunks who all hate each other but are like leading the entire country in bio tech, progressive politics, and the entire world in medicine and cancer research at the same time as being a bunch of unlikable judgmental pricks with drinking problems. It's like a city made of dreams.

bludhoundz
10-29-2018, 07:34 PM
sounds like a nightmare unless you'd trade living in a place where people are friendly for winning at sports for 15 years

not that hockey is relevant anyway though

Madamos
10-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Being a huge Yankees fan, fuck boston. But then again, fuck LA even more.

Achilles
10-30-2018, 07:10 AM
sounds like a nightmare unless you'd trade living in a place where people are friendly for winning at sports for 15 years

not that hockey is relevant anyway though

Hockey is definitely relevant, but this is a hockey town. It's not big in a lot of places though, so you're right about that. Everyone's nuts about the Bruins here.

And it is a nightmare if you're not from here and you're around a high profile sporting event. The one exception is the Patriots, they don't play in Boston. They're like way the fuck out in the middle of the state. All joking aside, it's just sort of the culture of the city. It's a rowdy place and I learned to tell people to fuck off at a really young age. Don't get me wrong, if you came here and just went out and saw your home team in any sport play any Boston team you'd 99% have an awesome night and have no problems. If you're a local and you're going to the non-touristy places like me you'll likely find trouble pretty quick. If you go to where I'm from and go into a local bar you'd never go into if you're from out of town it's going to be a ton of dudes in scally caps who like if you saw on the street you'd be like "I don't trust that guy." I got into a fist fight with this guy about six years ago at this bar called the Quencher (that's closed now) and after I cold cocked him he bought me a beer. Like I said, for the really old school locals it's just sort of our culture.

Being a huge Yankees fan, fuck boston. But then again, fuck LA even more.

Remember that time the only team in baseball history blew a 3-0 in the ACLS lead and they're still the only ones to ever do it and it was the most historic fuck up in the sport? Boston remembers.

Madamos
10-30-2018, 08:04 AM
dO yOu ReMeMbEr ThE 27 ChAmPiOnShIpS?

Jokes aside , I do remember. I think my whole entourage hates the Yankees and never misses a chance to remind me.

Achilles
10-30-2018, 08:40 AM
I actually sincerely miss the old rivalry. It was never the same after 2004. I don't know how it is in New York now but it's definitely not as palpable here. After we finally beat you guys all that hatred and blood lust just wasn't there. I mean, there's still the Boston vs. New York thing, but when we were still in our World Series drought it was so much fun hating you guys. It's not really the same anymore.

The Yankees are definitely going to end up being good, they're just young. And the Red Sox are set up for a few years. I hope it reignites me being able to unreasonably tell you to go fuck yourself. And I mean that in the most polite way possible.

Spencer 555
10-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Arent you from montreal bbb?

Madamos
10-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Yes

Spencer 555
10-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Habs fan?

Madamos
10-30-2018, 01:43 PM
You know it !

Gryph
10-30-2018, 03:40 PM
I actually sincerely miss the old rivalry. It was never the same after 2004. I don't know how it is in New York now but it's definitely not as palpable here. After we finally beat you guys all that hatred and blood lust just wasn't there. I mean, there's still the Boston vs. New York thing, but when we were still in our World Series drought it was so much fun hating you guys. It's not really the same anymore.

The Yankees are definitely going to end up being good, they're just young. And the Red Sox are set up for a few years. I hope it reignites me being able to unreasonably tell you to go fuck yourself. And I mean that in the most polite way possible.

After 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombings, it kinda ended. I remember when Boston played New York New York in Fenway, and the Yankees played Sweet Caroline in the Bronx afterward, and they had the "Yankees stand with Boston" on the scoreboard, I was at that game one of my all time fondest memories that I still think about to this day. Now it more so went from a Michigan - Ohio State type hatred to a Tom Brady vs Peyton kinda rivalry. I miss the old rivalry as well, but at the same time I kinda enjoy the new one, it's like getting to an end of a story between two rival characters, theres so much similar history between them that you view it more of accepted adversaries as opposed to defeat at all costs.

Achilles
10-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Yeah dude it was nuts back in the day. Before 2004 it wasn't that Red Sox fans hated the Yankees - they hated the entire city of New York and all of the people living in it. Do you remember the 2004 ACLS when in Yankee Stadium they had to line the field with riot police with full blown shields because we all hated each other so much? That was the craziest fucking thing I've ever seen in any sport.

I guess I need to give you a complimentary go fuck ya self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLKeTw_hhQ

Achilles
10-31-2018, 08:20 PM
I went out to the parade today. My cousin Tommy came up from Louisiana to see it and my cousin Ned came up from the South Shore so we could go into town. It was an awesome time. We climbed way up on a water utility truck to see it. It was so much fun.

https://i.postimg.cc/rpKvV2Nf/redsox.jpg

Madamos
10-31-2018, 09:40 PM
which one are ya?

Achilles
10-31-2018, 09:47 PM
Far right.

Gryph
11-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Andujar got robbed. BBWA should just award MVP with people who have 1 hit and 1 at bat because they are perfect. I'm actually pretty salty about this. Ohtani is a once in a generational talent, but if you're gonna fuck over Gary Sanchez when he broke out for "not enough games played" then give it to Fulmer, it doesn't make sense to give it to someone who had even less just because he pitches and bats .270. in 114 games, (92 he started) as a damn DH and struck out 33% of the time and didn't pitch for 5 months because he tore his elbow, over Miggy who started 149(152!!!!!!), and had 97 over 604 PA's and a better statline across the board with the exception of SBs and walks, but batting between Trout, Pujols, Upton, and Simmons can do that for you, compared to Miggy who did that batting 8th and 9th

Reminiscent of when Colon won over Santana that year.

Nightmarez
12-01-2018, 06:43 PM
This Robbie Cano Trade is a robbery by the Mariners.

Gryph
12-02-2018, 10:18 AM
I'd say it was, right up until they dumped Colome as well. That bullpen is gonna be nutsacks, and Bruce can barely play the field anymore, Cruz has that DH spot on lockdown as well. If Kelenic actually brings hit bat to the majors, then yeah. And I suppose they are banking on Dunn to keep 4+ pitches at above average and be the closer down the line? But dealing Paxton and having an aging Felix, the market for Starting Pitchers is substantially more expensive, along with RP. Dealing from a surplus for farm system depth at this point just seems kinda dumb. They lost 3 All-Star calibur / Cy Young candidate / Reliever of the Year potential award winners for a 19 year old with a dope minor league bat (that's yet to be tested above Rookie Ball) and Dunn (23 years old in AA) prior to that dumping Colome for Narvaez who is projected for 33 rbi and 8 hr next season.

I mean, aside from dumping 60mil off the Cano contract, it seems like a classic "Yeah fuck it, hope the dart sticks with these kids and dump some salary, please for the love of god work" kinda move.

I feel if they waited a little more, till like midseason'ish, or even past the first few months to see if injuries arise so they can maximize value woulda been far better. Could you imagine what someone like the Dodgers would dump on them if they had a major injury that required someone like Cano (cause he can also be 2b/1b), or possibly the Rockies (who are trying to move on from Desmond), or hell, even the friggin Indians.

Hulky
12-21-2018, 01:07 PM
So the As just traded for Jurickson Profar. I know Jed Lowrie is a FA.

1B: Matt Olson
2B: ??? (Franklin Barretto)
SS: ??? (Marcus Semien/Jurickson Profar)
3B: Matt Chapman

How does second base and shortstop play out? Is Profar an upgrade to Semien and just replaces him? Is Profar going to second and Barretto isn't going to the majors? What happens if Jed Lowrie returns who is SS Barretto/Semien/Profar?

Gryph
12-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Profar is basically everything but a catcher / 1B iirc from last year.

manonfire101
01-10-2019, 03:17 PM
I'm frustrated that the Rockies didn't try to get Grandal. Bridich definitely could have gone after him on a 1-year deal and he would have made a huge difference this season. Realmuto is too expensive for Colorado to go after, so our catchers this season will be Tony Wolters and Chris Iannetta.

Daniel Murphy was a great 2-year deal for Colorado, though. They absolutely sucked hitting rhp last season and Murphy will help a lot with that. He'll also hopefully limit the amount of time Ian Desmond plays this season.

The only remaining move I'd like to see from Colorado is to obtain someone who can play CF and move Charlie Blackmon to left. Then get rid of Desmond.

Not signing Brian Dozier was good, and avoiding bringing DJ Lemahieu back would also be good. Excited to see what Hampson, McMahon, and eventually Rodgers can do at 2B.

Greendaybum5
01-12-2019, 11:41 PM
No news about Harper today is killing me..... sign him already

Nightmarez
02-05-2019, 06:22 PM
So the As just traded for Jurickson Profar. I know Jed Lowrie is a FA.

1B: Matt Olson
2B: ??? (Franklin Barretto)
SS: ??? (Marcus Semien/Jurickson Profar)
3B: Matt Chapman

How does second base and shortstop play out? Is Profar an upgrade to Semien and just replaces him? Is Profar going to second and Barretto isn't going to the majors? What happens if Jed Lowrie returns who is SS Barretto/Semien/Profar?

I think Profar ends up playing everyday at 2B and Barretto factors into the OF equation. Maybe I'm projecting here, but I think the A's see Semien and Profar more as everyday players and Barreto as someone who will have a flexible role and get utility time on the infield and some playing time in the OF.

I'm frustrated that the Rockies didn't try to get Grandal. Bridich definitely could have gone after him on a 1-year deal and he would have made a huge difference this season. Realmuto is too expensive for Colorado to go after, so our catchers this season will be Tony Wolters and Chris Iannetta.

Daniel Murphy was a great 2-year deal for Colorado, though. They absolutely sucked hitting rhp last season and Murphy will help a lot with that. He'll also hopefully limit the amount of time Ian Desmond plays this season.

The only remaining move I'd like to see from Colorado is to obtain someone who can play CF and move Charlie Blackmon to left. Then get rid of Desmond.

Not signing Brian Dozier was good, and avoiding bringing DJ Lemahieu back would also be good. Excited to see what Hampson, McMahon, and eventually Rodgers can do at 2B.

Murphy is such a good signing. I actually think Dozier wouldve been interesting to see how his FB heavy approach worked in Coors. But I agree just let Hampson/McMahon play at this point. How strapped are the Rockies at this point between Nolan and Blackmon?

No news about Harper today is killing me..... sign him already

I think Segura and McCutchen at least for the next year / two years will be solid moves regardless.

Hulky
02-07-2019, 07:22 PM
I think the Marlins won that Realmuto trade. I don't know anything about Jorge Alfaro, but isn't Sixto Sanchez worth more? Like a 20 year old that can throw groundballs and 100 mph fastballs that isn't super wild? Isn't Realmuto like 28? Isn't this the Phillies saying our window is 3 years? I think I'd rather be the Marlins here.

Going to caveat it by saying if this is a move Bryce Harper wanted to come to Philly, then Philly did good. Then I could see the 3 year window making more sense.

Hulky
02-08-2019, 02:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpIs__45t5I

Gryph
02-08-2019, 02:14 PM
I think the Marlins won that Realmuto trade. I don't know anything about Jorge Alfaro, but isn't Sixto Sanchez worth more? Like a 20 year old that can throw groundballs and 100 mph fastballs that isn't super wild? Isn't Realmuto like 28? Isn't this the Phillies saying our window is 3 years? I think I'd rather be the Marlins here.

Going to caveat it by saying if this is a move Bryce Harper wanted to come to Philly, then Philly did good. Then I could see the 3 year window making more sense.

I honestly think they could of gotten a bit more, with the black hole that is catcher, the premium in regards to a legitimate top tier offensive weapon at that position should demand a serious counteroffer. Though, considering what the Marlins had and their inability to contend any time soon, it's still an A/A+ trade. If they were contending, they could of probably gotten more, Realmuto may be 28, but he's still in excellent physical condition and hasn't had a super major injury. Plus he's one of 3 catchers who posted a +.800OPS each of the past 3 years (Other two being Posey and Sanchez) and between the three of them, literally 1 double would elevate them to first place (.803[posey], .802[realmuto], .802[sanchez]) between the three. It's scary how close those guys are.

Nightmarez
02-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Barf.

Just kidding mostly, but I STRONGLY believe that the Phillies won this trade. Potential isn't reality. Sixto Sanchez has a ton of potential but there's so much work in developing a pitcher and so much risk in their arms. Look at Michael Kopech who went to the White Sox in the Chris Sale deal. He's been great, but he's also missing a ton of time with TJS. I know multiple people after an elbow scare earlier that believe Sixto will have TJS sometime in the next two years. Plus tehre's reports that the Phillies soured on his conditioning routine. But even if all that is bullshit, I think you're VASTLY underrating the value at the catcher position.

Even IF Sixto's elbow is fine, their are just so many variables to get Sixto from where he is to where he needs to be. Realmuto is ELITE. And while, yes, he is only controlled for two years, it isn't the type of two year deal that bars you from signing anyone, and it gives you two years to lock him up potentially long term.

I've seen a few people prefer the Marlins side, so it definitely isn't a rare opinion. But I am so far on the other side of the fence that it isn't even funny. I don't even care if the Phillies win the next two years, as a calculated risk I love this. One real prospect, one elite CURRENT talent at the hardest defensive position to fill.

This trade is just a no-brainer to me. When I trade for Premium players, I'm expecting to give up packages of elite prospects. Jorge Alfaro has a chance to build into a league average Catcher, but I'm not an Alfaro believer. He had a 22% Whiff/SwStr% last year, and has never generated the type of power I'd want for someone who whiffs that much. His contact/power tool are just not intriguing to me. He's a completely expendable second piece.

JT Realmuto is my pick for best offensive and best catcher in baseball. And Catcher is the hardest position in baseball to find someoen who is competent on both sides of the game. Not having to give up more than one premium prospect for him, and having that one high premium prospect be a pitcher, is highway robbery IMO.

Greendaybum5
02-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Realmuto also has ties to Harper is the rumor..... fingers crossed!

Hulky
02-28-2019, 04:21 PM
did a fantasy league (h2h points) came out with this team
C: JT Realmuto
1B: Joey Votto
2B: DJ LeMahieu
SS: Jean Segura
3B: Rafael Devers
1B/3B: Kris Bryant
2B/SS: Yoan Moncada
OF: George Springer
OF: Wil Myers
OF: Ryan Braun
OF: Jackie Bradley Jr
OF: Matt Kemp
UTIL: Justin Upton
Bench: Chris Taylor
Bench: Austin Meadows
P: Max Scherzer
P: Jacob DeGrom
P: Clayton Kershaw
P:Madison Bumgarner
P: Josh Hader
P: Yu Darvish
P: Cody Allen
P: Dallas Kuechel
P: Matt Barnes
BenchP: Julio Urias

Serge
02-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Boras fucking sucks. Harper should have taken our extension.

Hulky
02-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Yeah wasn't Nationals 10y/300m and he ended up with 13y/330m from Phillies
he took less money to go to the Phillies seems like a worse team, worse money and worse for legacy as you wont be a one city one team legend

The Butcher
03-01-2019, 03:41 PM
:) ....

Gryph
03-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Yeah wasn't Nationals 10y/300m and he ended up with 13y/330m from Phillies
he took less money to go to the Phillies seems like a worse team, worse money and worse for legacy as you wont be a one city one team legend

Nats supposedly had 100m in deferred money, so in reality it was 10yrs/200m, and it would pay him in increments until he was like 60 (literally) lol

Greendaybum5
03-04-2019, 02:52 PM
did a fantasy league (h2h points) came out with this team
C: JT Realmuto
1B: Joey Votto
2B: DJ LeMahieu
SS: Jean Segura
3B: Rafael Devers
1B/3B: Kris Bryant
2B/SS: Yoan Moncada
OF: George Springer
OF: Wil Myers