Thread: Tactics Reborn - Development Progress Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'd rather square tiles and no upgrade on the units. The board has like 120 tiles if you multiply that by 4 you have 480, by 6 720. That's a huge leap in pre-planning how things face and how to go about attacking them. The learning curve would dramatically go up, I'm not sure but I also think aggressive strategies would benefit due to more angles to attack. Keeping it square it's a lot easier for use to guesstimate balance since we have roughly a decade of experience in it each.

I think open world is cool as hell though. Something like Pokemon where your character walks around and can challenge others walking around to duel, cue music, enter match is a good basis. Pokemon and TAO were both pretty addictive and lasted longer than most anyone would have expected.

If in the world there are different things to explore it becomes fun for even the lobby whores who don't play often. Go run from one end of the world to the next, shoot fucking arrows at a tree or just go explore. Have cities/towns like Pokemon did, you don't need too much stuff in the world to make it naturally fun to explore. Then battles engaged in certain areas have similar background landscape to the region it was engaged in. Core game is TAO-like. World is broken down into open world levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulky View Post
    I'd rather square tiles and no upgrade on the units. The board has like 120 tiles if you multiply that by 4 you have 480, by 6 720. That's a huge leap in pre-planning how things face and how to go about attacking them. The learning curve would dramatically go up, I'm not sure but I also think aggressive strategies would benefit due to more angles to attack. Keeping it square it's a lot easier for use to guesstimate balance since we have roughly a decade of experience in it each.
    100% agree with this. Not a fan of upgrading units or hex. Both will dramatically change the game IMO. Part of TAOs appeal was its simplicity. Units were what they were and you didn't need to spend time/money upgrading them. Also I think hex would dramatically change strategy and would take a lot longer to figure out how to balance.

I think open world is cool as hell though. Something like Pokemon where your character walks around and can challenge others walking around to duel, cue music, enter match is a good basis. Pokemon and TAO were both pretty addictive and lasted longer than most anyone would have expected.

If in the world there are different things to explore it becomes fun for even the lobby whores who don't play often. Go run from one end of the world to the next, shoot fucking arrows at a tree or just go explore. Have cities/towns like Pokemon did, you don't need too much stuff in the world to make it naturally fun to explore. Then battles engaged in certain areas have similar background landscape to the region it was engaged in. Core game is TAO-like. World is broken down into open world levels.
    This sounds really cool. If you can make it happen. Damn...

Thread Information