Quote Originally Posted by manonfire101 View Post
This is great, Hulky. I'm not sure if it was an accident, but I think it would be cool to have units kind of oscillate even when they aren't being used.

Is that the view we would see if we were playing a game? I think it would be easier to visualize a move if you were looking at the game board from a completely overhead point of view (like completely orthogonal to the game board and not angled at all). Also I think it would be easier to visualize moves if the units all fit comfortably into one square. Some of the units look like they are sort of on more than one tile. Or at least, from an angled view it looks like they have heads and limbs that are in tiles other than the ones that they are standing in. Changing to an overhead view might help with that. Changing the color of the game board might also help with that. If it's a turn-based strategy game like TAO was, then I think making the board and units as non-cluttered as possible is important.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to give you constructive feedback. I'm really impressed with how much you've been able to do with this.
Thanks.

oscillate - yes they have idle animations.
Is that the view we would see if we were playing a game? - no
units all fit comfortably into one square. - working on making it work with as big of tiles as possible to fit on the screen so the dragon can be larger than smaller units for example.
Changing the color of the game board - there is no game board in that video. I'll explain this below.
making the board and units as non-cluttered as possible is important - awesome feedback I'm going to experiment with gaps between tiles now

There is no game board. Like 0 gameboard. There is a grid (I can make it either Hex or Square tiles). This grid has individual tiles. Each tile can have it's own qualities (like for example people suggested things like tile types like a tile marked hill gives a bonus to range attacks, or sand is -1 movement through, stuff like that or you need to have a flight like ability to move through or whatever). The majority (currently all) tiles are marked as default. Then there is another grid with where the user can spawn units at the beginning of the game (like Settings in TAO). This grid is the same grid and tiles, just a more limit grouping of them for where to spawn. Where's the gameboard though? Below the grid lays a terrain (the video I posted earlier of the open world is simply a terrain with objects [and a first person controller to explore it]. The terrain there can fit under the grid (like a portion of the terrain not the entire huge thing). This would create environments and those environments was what I've been asking the community for for a while (what the world should look like so I don't have to make an entire world and game and then redo it all after the fact because later people see and and think "oh we can have something like that, I want it to be like____" because then I have to redo it all [I'm like 99% sure this is going to happen and why I'm frustrated at this point]).

It looks pretty cool. One huge thing I'm held up on at the moment is rotating and blocking. I haven't looked into that part yet and that's a huge part of TAO. I'm not sure how it is done [I've figured out attack from front = X damage and attack from side = Y damage using degrees, but I'm not sure how it's implemented especially without rotating].